Denver update episode III

Parsnip Totin Jack

• 1 year later...

The next morning I woke early and went to the hotel fitness center. They had a running/walking track on the roof of an adjacent building. I walked several laps, got the heart rate up and watched the sun rise and chase the night shadows from the city below. The conference provided breakfast. It was good for the price but if I had to pay I’d shop elsewhere. Since it was still early,  I headed to the Starbucks next to the hotel for coffee and to kill some time. Sixteen ounce cup of dark roast and a comfy chair by the door was a good place to chill before the day started. It was also a good place to people watch. I enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes books and try to use his techniques of deduction to tell myself tales of the customers. One person stood out from the rest. He was young and appeared homeless. Matted dreads the color of tired straw leaked down from his knit cap. A green Army fatigue jacket was stained and dirty denim ended at shoes worn out months ago. I figured he was here for the bathroom to clean up, consume drugs or get a cup of hot water for a dime.  How wrong I was, when I heard a shout from the register. “Dude! Really!” The homeless kid ran past me and out the door to wick for me to stick out a leg to slow him down. He was chased by the cashier, who kept up her mantra of Dude, really? He snatched a fistful of dollars from the tip jar and bolted. I wish I had stopped him, but that’s life in the big city. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Old#7 said:

The next morning I woke early and went to the hotel fitness center. They had a running/walking track on the roof of an adjacent building. I walked several laps, got the heart rate up and watched the sun rise and chase the night shadows from the city below. The conference provided breakfast. It was good for the price but if I had to pay I’d shop elsewhere. Since it was still early,  I headed to the Starbucks next to the hotel for coffee and to kill some time. Sixteen ounce cup of dark roast and a comfy chair by the door was a good place to chill before the day started. It was also a good place to people watch. I enjoy reading Sherlock Holmes books and try to use his techniques of deduction to tell myself tales of the customers. One person stood out from the rest. He was young and appeared homeless. Matted dreads the color of tired straw leaked down from his knit cap. A green Army fatigue jacket was stained and dirty denim ended at shoes worn out months ago. I figured he was here for the bathroom to clean up, consume drugs or get a cup of hot water for a dime.  How wrong I was, when I heard a shout from the register. “Dude! Really!” The homeless kid ran past me and out the door to wick for me to stick out a leg to slow him down. He was chased by the cashier, who kept up her mantra of Dude, really? He snatched a fistful of dollars from the tip jar and bolted. I wish I had stopped him, but that’s life in the big city. 

I liked hearing of this, it felt like it could be any of us in the coffee shop.

Well done, sir! 

We must have more.