Garmin

airinpie

I have the Edge 510. It allows you to upload courses, but it's basically useless. I want to be able to have it tell me where to turn, etc. How expensive do I have to go to get this feature? Does the 520 do it? 

Should I just be looking for "turn by turn navigation"?

The 820 has turn by turn:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561299

I have an older 500 series Garmin, 510 I think, but from what I understand you can upload routes and it will tell you when to turn.  Not like the turn by turn on your smart phone or car but it will give you an arrow to turn left or right.  Back in the day Beanz did a demo on how it works and he had the same Garmin as mine.

IMHO my Garmin is more of a PITA than anything else.  I like that I can pop it on my road, mtn and CX bike, that's it.  I hate that I have to keep it charged regularly and although I'm sure I can adjust the lay out I don't like how the screen displays data and I haven't had the time or energy to mess with it.    

Get the 1000.  It has the best map feature.  The 510 is very problematic to try and route find with, especially when you are doing navigation on dirt roads with no road names.

I have not used the 810, but I hear it has turn by turn as well.  The 1000 has a very nice large display.  I hook a lanyard from the Garmin to the handlebars in the event the Garmin pops out.  It helps secure that expensive device.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

It will tell you where to turn. I have the 500 and routes I download from RidewithGPS show me the street name, direction, and how many miles til the turn. It needs to be a TCX course file for this to work I think.

image.png.42d451e0d060c08a48aa8583716ed839.png

I have tried this with no success ?

28 minutes ago, airinpie said:

I have tried this with no success ?

:scratchhead: Perhaps it's how the route is created using ridewithgps options. All I know is, I get turn-by-turn on mine using TCX files. That seems very odd that you do not. Only thing I can think of is, do you have the latest firmware update?

On 7/25/2017 at 10:30 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Get the 1000.  It has the best map feature.

I have not used the 810, but I hear it has turn by turn as well. 

I have the 810. Got it when it first came out.  Turn by turn works but the maps are small and hard to read.  1000 wasn't available when I got the 810 but if I was getting a new one it would be a 1000

• Awesome 1

I have the 510 and it does show you to turn left or right after you store a course and start using it, but it doesn't show a street map, it just shows the course as a breadcrumb line. It can tell you the names of the turns, but I think you have to set up "breadcrumb markers" with names on one of the Garmin Connect webpages (mentioned in the video below) to do it - definitely for turns on trails if not for major roads themselves. In my hands the 510 doesn't do well outside of recording times, speeds, distances, heartrates, and cadences and showing them on a big enough screen for me to see several pieces of data at one time. I tried to follow turns a couple times. It usually doesn't tell me to turn until after I've just passed the turn - as the guy in the excellent video below confirms. It's awful when I'm on a path in a shady woods. When I use the "Virtual Partner" feature, which I often do to try to keep up with previous times over a course and where I always stay on the 8-10 foot-wide paved trail so I'm never off-course, it will tell me I'm off-course or it will tell me I'm 45 seconds behind my virtual partner - then I come out in the sun and it says I'm 80 seconds ahead.

There's some basic turn info here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/turn-by-turn-guidance-on-garmin-edge-510

Here is a really good guide to turn-by-turn directions:

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

:scratchhead: Perhaps it's how the route is created using ridewithgps options. All I know is, I get turn-by-turn on mine using TCX files. That seems very odd that you do not. Only thing I can think of is, do you have the latest firmware update?

I think so, but I will double check. Last time I tried, I was off course within the first half mile, and it never found me again. Maybe the route didn't have all the markers set up. I downloaded it from a race website. 

5 hours ago, airinpie said:

I think so, but I will double check. Last time I tried, I was off course within the first half mile, and it never found me again. Maybe the route didn't have all the markers set up. I downloaded it from a race website. 

My garmin will show off course several times a ride, but typically finds it w/in seconds.