People are unrealistic and mean on Trip advisor

Dirtyhip

So, we stayed at this place called The Tides Inn.  It's a great little place.  The rooms are clean and well appointed.  I left them a nice review this morning and noticed a couple of mean reviews.  One had complaints like "the black sand beach smelled terrible, Shelter Cove is a sad little town with nothing to do, there are no proper restaurants, the drive is on a dangerous windy road, the golf course is dried up."  Blah Blah  

What is wrong with people?  None of these things have anything to do with the hotel. The town is quirky, but don't take it out on local businesses.  Heck, I heard Sysco Food can only deliver once a week.  A few weeks back it was reported that they ran out of most things on the menu at the Pizza place.  Like I said, the place is isolated.  Personally, I thought it was part of the charm.

However, I planned by bringing my own food, we got there in a vehicle that was fit for the drive, and I only came with the expectation to relax and enjoy ourselves.  

http://www.sheltercovetidesinn.com/

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Not unrealistic........just plain shitty.  And I don't see that getting better anytime soon.  Keep the friends you have and be careful of the rest.

I just don't get the mean spirited, out for spite kind of behavior.  WTF!?  

They had a sweet little dog named Peanut that took a liking to us. He would hang out with us on the veranda and would pop over to our room several times during our stay.  The Managers were very concerned that he was bothering us.  Some guests must have had a problem with Peanut.  I can see how something as simple as a sweet dog can become a negative review like, "AHH! Their dog walked into our room causing my allergies to go nuts,"   The lady told me one guest complained that they saw a roly poly in their room.  <eye roll>  Those things are everywhere.   

People need to just chill out.

Meh, you hafta realize that there's a significant portion of the population now that wanders around like they are the stars of their own reality TV show. They love seeing their names in print & the meaner the comments, the more it bolsters their over inflated self-importance.

• Heart 1

The anonymity of the internet and the increasing sense of self entitlement in our society are a bad mix.  Everyone wants perfection, 5 star service and Walmart pricing.  If they do not get it, then they fire up TripAdvisor or Yelp or whatever and blast away.

I tend to vote with my business.   Went to a long time well established deli for breakfast recently.  Son had something in his drink.  Asked for a new one.  It came back with a pink sweetener wrapper in it.  I then looked down at my plate and found a hair in my omelette.

Waitress took both items off the bill and when I asked to speak to the manager she told me she was the manager and that was the best she could do.

I paid the bill, left no tip and told her we would never be back. 

If you are ever in Richardson, this is Cindys Deli by Richardson Bike Mart.  I would not go there.

• Awesome 2

46 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

...and some smelly dead fish ocean smell is not a fault of a hotel owner.  People are crazy.  

Call me crazy but I love that smell.  The ocean mud smell on a low tide smells like home....  That and the cool ocean breeze.

I see it all the time on other sports related forums, news and on FB.  Fire the manager is the answer for damn near every miscue a team makes.   I especially like to go on the Texas Rangers MLB forums, it's very entertaining.  These guys not only rant about the team but they are vicious towards each other and anyone who tries to interject into their hate fest.

I think JSharr hit the nail on the head as to why tho...

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Call me crazy but I love that smell.  The ocean mud smell on a low tide smells like home....  That and the cool ocean breeze.

I see it all the time on other sports related forums, news and on FB.  Fire the manager is the answer for damn near every miscue a team makes.   I especially like to go on the Texas Rangers MLB forums, it's very entertaining.  These guys not only rant about the team but they are vicious towards each other and anyone who tries to interject into their hate fest.

I think JSharr hit the nail on the head as to why tho...

Texans as a rule are a special kind of stupid.  And being a Rangers fan would crush the soul of even the best of men and women.

• Heart 2

I knew a "friend of a friend" who was an absolute jerk when traveling.  I couldn't stand to eat out with her because she'd annoy the server to death complaining about every little thing. Not surprisingly, her acquaintances stopped asking her to travel or eat out.  I think her own life was dull and boring and she wasn't happy in her relationship. so she'd take it out on the few people she perceived as having less power than she did.

In many ways she was a kind person who'd go out of her way to help others, but the constant negativity and focus on little things was too annoying.  Now she wonders why nobody ever wants to go somewhere with her.

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

I knew a "friend of a friend" who was an absolute jerk when traveling.  I couldn't stand to eat out with her because she'd annoy the server to death complaining about every little thing. Not surprisingly, her acquaintances stopped asking her to travel or eat out.  I think her own life was dull and boring and she wasn't happy in her relationship. so she'd take it out on the few people she perceived as having less power than she did.

In many ways she was a kind person who'd go out of her way to help others, but the constant negativity and focus on little things was too annoying.  Now she wonders why nobody ever wants to go somewhere with her.

Poor @1826!  I feel bad for her, but I understand why you had to cut ties....

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My best friend back in the day dated a girl like that.  She had some baggage but was otherwise a sweet girl.  Except she never accepted her food the first time. She would send her food back for stupid reasons.  I always told her you know that plate is coming back withba lugie in it... She inspected it closely each time it came back and sometimes sent it back twice....

Heard there were some negative comments toward some of the local motels after a lengthy power outage a few weeks back.  I thought to myself after driving into town that I was happy to not be working the desks at any of the motels that night.  Power was out from 9:00pm to 2:00am and included most of the motels in town. People have a hard time accepting 'acts of nature'.

I've stayed in some pretty 'questionable' places over the years and actually had to leave a few, but normally did not complain, as I normally only sleep in the rooms. Always remember the time when my boss roomed with me during a meeting in Kansas, and half way during the stay, he pointed out to me that his wife would not have been happy with the room.  I wanted to but refrained from asking him, where she was hiding, as I had not seen her in the building.:whistle:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I just don't get the mean spirited, out for spite kind of behavior.  WTF!?  

They had a sweet little dog named Peanut that took a liking to us. He would hang out with us on the veranda and would pop over to our room several times during our stay.  The Managers were very concerned that he was bothering us.  Some guests must have had a problem with Peanut.  I can see how something as simple as a sweet dog can become a negative review like, "AHH! Their dog walked into our room causing my allergies to go nuts,"   The lady told me one guest complained that they saw a roly poly in their room.  <eye roll>  Those things are everywhere.   

People need to just chill out.

In case you hadn't noticed, a dislike......no, a hatred of "others" is spreading across the nation as everyone looks for someone to blame for their "not up to expectations" life.  It makes for a pretty sour outlook and a nasty streak that shows itself in places like the internet where you can say what you want without consequence.

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

I knew a "friend of a friend" who was an absolute jerk when traveling.

There was a couple in the motorcycle club who bitched about every restaurant and hotel we ever stayed in.

(They also tried to bitch about the way I ran the club, but I knew that if you stood up to them, they’d back down and not bother you again).

I stayed at an AirBnB when I was visiting SuzieQ...and I had ants marching across my room...I told the lady there were a lot of ants in the room in my polite Minnesota fashion...and she did nothing...after I left...she posted about the terrible ant infestation...I did not make a negative review... I figured it was a failure to communicate..the room was clean..there was a washer & dryer to use as I wanted...and even some stuff for breakfast...I look at reviews and then...I jump..

LOL on the Great Adventure....I convinced the homeowner to allow 4 of us...where 3 was pushing it and 1 or 2 was the norm...and it wasn't bad at all..just a couple miles from union station....

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Do people read Trip Advisor?

I used it a lot for our Volvo trip. Just take everything with a grain of salt. I skipped to the negatives first. Looking for multiple acts of roaches, bed bugs or anything nasty like that. Then i looked at the ratio of 5 star reviews to 1 & 2 star reviews. If Ok then I looked further into the joint

If it's one person from the South (Texas) and they wanted (chilli w/beans) then I discounted the review. Obviously mental

• Heart 3