Can Dogs Tell Time?

ChrisL

Not in the literal sense but we set routines to time for Jack and it seems he just knows now.  Case in point, he often times wakes up around 4 AM and we take him out to pee but we don't feed him until 5 am when my wife gets up.  Today he woke me up at 4:10, I took him out and he looked at me but I said "too early go to bed" so he did.  Moments before my wife's alarm went off he was nosing me, dude 5 AM feed me..... I looked at my clock, sunna beotch it's 5 am...

He also gets honery at 5 PM, dinner time and 7 PM, walk time.  He just knows what time it is based on routines and you can pretty much set your clock to him.  I get it most dogs know routines but I've never had a dog so wired  to time.

• Heart 2

Not only time but the doggehs adjust to who is home. If i am out of town WoScrapr likes to sleep in. So they leave her alone until 9 or 10:00 am. If i am there they know i get up early. So 6:00 am and they are making a ruckus. Heavy breathing. If i ignore Oden he goes over and gets Penny. She's my favorite so he knows i will get up for her

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Not only time but the doggehs adjust to who is home. If i am out of town WoScrapr likes to sleep in. So they leave her alone until 9 or 10:00 am. If i am there they know i get up early. So 6:00 am and they are making a ruckus. Heavy breathing. If i ignore Oden he goes over and gets Penny. She's my favorite so he knows i will get up for her

Most days Jack wakes me up to pee but when I'm gone on travel he doesn't wake my wife and waits for her to get up at 5 am.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

so they get routines down pretty well.

When I was in 1st grade the bus would drop us off at the corner about a 1/4 mile from our house and every day our German Shepherd would be sitting there waiting for me and my brother when we got off the bus. My mom would see the dog walk to the corner about 10 minutes before the bus would drop us off and wait for us and walk us home.  

• Heart 2

We had moved into a house with a fenced back yard. Badge gave no sign of being able to clear the 4 feet.

After we'd been there a few a weeks the neighbor came over, introduced himself, and told me that Badge left for the day shortly after my wife left for work, and jumped back into the yard shortly before I got home from work.

Badge was one smart dog.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

They aren't that smart. They can only read digital. 

I wonder if sun position has anything to do with it. Our dog would nap on the couch during the day, but late in the afternoon she would go to the front window to greet me when I got home. 

When I was in college, a friend from high school was going to another college nearby. It was 400 miles home so we decided to ride home together in her car. She had never been to our house. I warned her that our dog would probably bark and be defensive until I told her everything was ok. 

We pulled in the driveway and our dog was sitting in the yard waiting. She stood up with her tail wagging and rushed to greet me when I opened the door. Somehow, she knew I was in there. 

• Heart 1

My Aussie wasnt so clued in to time.  We free fed her and she just got moving when I did, went to bed when I did and was always eager to go on walks or play frisbee but never at particular times.  But.... She always knew when a stranger was at the door or when one of the kids or family was at the door.  I dont know how she could tell but she could.  If a door to door salesman or the pizza guy came she went bezerk when they rang the bell or knocked.  But one time my mom was out with friends and lost her key.  Her friends brought her to our place and she rang the bell.  Granted this was around 8 PM, everyone was home and I was wondering why she wasn't barking.  Went to the door and it was my mom.... Somehow she knew it was a familiar person....

• Heart 1