What the heck happened while I was off sulking?

Airehead

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Go to the tool bar at the top of the page.  Learn to use the paint brush tool.  It doesn't fix everything but it will probably distance you from the whiners.

There is no paintbrush tool in this theme.  I edited it in the other theme, but it looks like a knitting forum from 2004 in that theme.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Go to the tool bar at the top of the page.  Learn to use the paint brush tool.  It doesn't fix everything but it will probably distance you from the whiners.

I made everything grape. I am not sure it helps. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I detest Wheels but I like the new theme. I didn't realize anything had changed since the new colors are the ones I had implemented on my own    :slow-dance-smiley:

It's as close as we had to a Peter Max theme. 

The like emojis are somewhat lame at the moment. I need a Mr. Blue Meanie. 

chief_blue_meanie_by_vashogunartist-d873

• Heart 1

How long were you sulking?  Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday we rode the tandem. Not a real long ride but I rode about 100 miles in the 4 days. WoD_P rode about 60 of those with me.  Grandchildren rode 30 and I rode 10 to meet WoD_P on Friday evening then she returned with me.  Saturday after the ride the balloon we would have been flying if it wasn't for the tandem weekend landed 1 mile from our house so we went and helped him pack it up.  This week we have been at the Elkhart County 4H Fair, the largest county fair in the USA.

We have been too busy to sulk.

• Confused 1

Just now, Wilbur said:

But AWWC does. 

Hey SW, can you roll things back already?  What have we gained from losing the themes we learned to tolerate to be replaced by these two monstrosities?  Seriously, why change when no one was asking for change and when it improves exactly nothing?

I hate to bitch about this, but we should have learned something from the Rodale bullshit we endured.  While the new look is not as drastically different or as crappy as the rodale shitshow, it still improved on nothing, and if there isn't some massive and obvious change for the better, then why the rush to do it?  I really am scratching my head here.

27 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I can't see any improvement either, But I'm hoping SW knows more about this crap than I do.  That's a really low bar, of course.  But he thinks we needed to do this, so I am trusting his judgement.   

Having been in IT for 4 years in the early 2000's, I realized the value of waiting until the absolute last second to be forced into a change of software, and only under duress or threat of death.  We had more than 1,000 users, and this was an institute-wide policy for good reason.   Unless the software you are using can be compared to an outhouse and the new software is indoor plumbing, it is just not smart to change it.   You know for damn sure that people will be unhappy with the software change from past experience (every past experience), you go through the hassle, and listen to people bitch (some more than others), so just why?  Why?  WHY???

Again, the SHIFT font looks like it was lifted from an early 2000's crocheting forum, and the default theme is too goddamn white, and the parts that aren't blindingly white are too faint, plus the borders are too thin.   I would have been fine with it if these were corrected (along with the lunacy of the green triangle), but it seems like some near-blind person put it together while stoned and getting maced at the same time. 

I know it is far easier to tear down something than it is to build it up, but it still seems like there wasn't any reason to go ahead with a change at all.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Having been in IT for 4 years in the early 2000's, I realized the value of waiting until the absolute last second to be forced into a change of software, and only under duress or threat of death.  We had more than 1,000 users, and this was an institute-wide policy for good reason.   Unless the software you are using can be compared to an outhouse and the new software is indoor plumbing, it is just not smart to change it.   You know for damn sure that people will be unhappy with the software change from past experience (every past experience), you go through the hassle, and listen to people bitch (some more than others), so just why?  Why?  WHY???

Again, the SHIFT font looks like it was lifted from an early 2000's crocheting forum, and the default theme is too goddamn white, and the parts that aren't blindingly white are too faint, plus the borders are too thin.   I would have been fine with it if these were corrected (along with the lunacy of the green triangle), but it seems like some near-blind person put it together while stoned and getting maced at the same time. 

I know it is far easier to tear down something than it is to build it up, but it still seems like there wasn't any reason to go ahead with a change at all.

IMG_54801.jpg

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

I made everything grape. I am not sure it helps. 

I can understand that.  ;)  Grape would not be my choice.  My problem is with my eyes.  If I use certain colors like the reds or oranges, it becomes more difficult to see the letters.  I use the blueberry theme to provide some more gentle colors that don't overload the senses.  As for the text however I need the most contrast possible.  I'd actually like one size larger text to help with the "blurries".

Roll back is impossible.

I like to keep the software updated, because unlike corporate intranets (yes I work within one with many tens of thousands of users - still on Windows 7, actually that is a recent update), again, unlike protected corporate intranets, we are in the wild and highly subject to hacking.  I've had one of my sites hacked twice, and it's a real pain plugging the holes, restoring the data and repairing the trust.

Shift is almost exactly what we had before, not sure where the complaining is coming from.

The Default theme again is almost identical to before.

@Randomguy, you nearly had a stoke the last time we updated because the + and Quote buttons were moved from the left to the right.  They are now back on the left where you prefer them, yet no acknowledgement of this, and still complaining.

I offered to buy a new theme for you.  Which one did you select?  That would be none, and still complaining.

For now all we have is Default and Shift for themes.  Carbon is supposed to be here this week, that is a very dark theme.  This was something I told you would happen.  I cannot leave themes installed that don't work and are not updated, that would leave the site open to attacks.

You may not notice, but this version is a little faster.  Each version gets a little faster, plus we have some new options like the improved Likes, better image handling, device management and dozens of other improvements.

I am doing my best to keep the site running and our data safe from being hacked.

How did the owners of Facebook respond when you told them you didn't like their theme?  Did they offer to buy a new one out of their own pocket for you?  If they did, did you suggest one you'd like?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

The fact that you are making changes to avoid hacking should be reason enough for folks to accept changes.  Questioning the changes is one thing, but having a 'meltdown' and leaving a site, as it occurred at the LF, is a little 'over the top'. Luckily, it is easy to ignore these rants on the internet, in person is a different situation entirely. :whistle:

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

For me it's frustrating.  I am not the enemy, I am trying to make this a better place.

Of course it is frustrating, you know it is frustrating.  It is like redecorating someone's house without telling them, then saying "Well, while you were away, I got you different furniture and repainted a bit, and updated your art based on my likes instead of yours.  It is better now, why don't you like it?" and "Oh yeah, I did all that redecorating that nobody wanted because I wanted to change the locks so no bad guys can get in".  The two things are unrelated.  

You simply cannot do that and expect that people will be happy with the outcome, a reasonable person would expect that people will be pissed off.

It would be less frustrating to say exactly what problems (major problems) would be addressed and why it is obviously justified and obviously necessary before you embark on a change.  

So was it ever explained wth they can't improve the anti-hacking without messing with the UI?   I know I would want a detailed explanation and a reason other than to sell new product.

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Shift is almost exactly what we had before, not sure where the complaining is coming from.

Shift is not exciting yet boring, nor is default.  The complaining is based on this "Again, the SHIFT font looks like it was lifted from an early 2000's crocheting forum, and the default theme is too goddamn white, and the parts that aren't blindingly white are too faint, plus the borders are too thin.   I would have been fine with it if these were corrected (along with the lunacy of the green triangle), but it seems like some near-blind person put it together while stoned and getting maced at the same time."

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

The fact that you are making changes to avoid hacking should be reason enough for folks to accept changes.  Questioning the changes is one thing, but having a 'meltdown' and leaving a site, as it occurred at the LF, is a little 'over the top'. Luckily, it is easy to ignore these rants on the internet, in person is a different situation entirely. :whistle:

Holy crap, the LF software change was terrible at best.  EVERYTHING was wrong with it, quite literally.  It wasn't just me or one or two other people that thought it looked and functioned horribly, it was nearly unanimous.  It wasn't over the top, at all, it was appropriate to leave the LF, especially as Rodale kept saying one thing and doing another.  It wasn't a meltdown, it was the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I offered to buy a new theme for you.  Which one did you select?  That would be none, and still complaining.

Well, can you fix the blinding whiteness and the overly faint color on the default theme?  I would prefer not to have to spend unnecessary money if possible, I am just not sure what things you can control from an administrative side.

In the shift theme, I have two major (for me) issues.  The font is an affront to all that was decent in society before Trump took office, and is suitable for an Atari Pong world.  The other is the completely stupid indicator for an unread response in the the topic list.  I like the star that indicates a new response, but the "dialog balloon" or whatever they might describe it is annoying.  Yeah, details matter, and as silly as it would seem, these are pretty off-putting for me.  Otherwise, it would be ok.

Of the choices, I think Novus is the best, or so it seems, based on incomplete information.   Does that have the appropriate star or the ridiculous dialog balloon?  It is still too white, but not as bad as the default choice.

57 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Please click on it at their site, it will bring you to a demo.  If you like it I will install it now.

Well, I am going to feel all kinds of crappy if I am the only one that would use it, but Novus does seem the best to me (I demo'd them all).  The only thing we don't know is how it treats topics that you have read but have a new response (starred as is proper, or the off-putting conversation balloon thing that shift uses).

What do you think?  If the horrible shift font could be changed and the starred star would be shown for new responses , then shift would work just fine, I just don't know if you have administrative control over that or not.

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, I am going to feel all kinds of crappy if I am the only one that would use it, but Novus does seem the best to me (I demo'd them all).  The only thing we don't know is how it treats topics that you have read but have a new response (starred as is proper, or the off-putting conversation balloon thing that shift uses).

What do you think?  If the horrible shift font could be changed and the starred star would be shown for new responses , then shift would work just fine, I just don't know if you have administrative control over that or not.

I just installed Novus.  It has the same icons you do not like.

I can change them, but that's on you now.  Please go here and find better read and unread icons and I can simply swap them out: http://fontawesome.io/icons/

Enjoy.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:33 PM, Randomguy said:

Hey SW, can you roll things back already?  What have we gained from losing the themes we learned to tolerate to be replaced by these two monstrosities?  Seriously, why change when no one was asking for change and when it improves exactly nothing?

I hate to bitch about this, but we should have learned something from the Rodale bullshit we endured.  While the new look is not as drastically different or as crappy as the rodale shitshow, it still improved on nothing, and if there isn't some massive and obvious change for the better, then why the rush to do it?  I really am scratching my head here.

Unfortunately, the terrorists have won and frequent change rides under the banner of security.  Hmm - is it coincidental that Amurrican business loves to obsolete their own products within a couple of years?  Now where is that damn tinfoil...?