Remember When?

Airehead

I was probably around 3. We had 2 German Shepherds and they would dig holes along side the house and lay down in the holes.

I remember laying in the hole playing with the dog.  

• Heart 2

My memory isn't that clear of my childhood but I do have one vivid recollection.  I was about 5 or 6 and we were playing in the back yard.  My dad was an electrician and had a home built lamp that probably wasn't UL approved we moved it to the backyard and set it on the ground and were using to light up the yard.  It was also getting late and the grass was starting to get dew on it.  One of us kicked the lamp over so I picked it up and got shocked (electrocuted I guess is a better word).  

I remember with vivid detail the feeling of the electricity coursing through my body, the warmth of the electricity, my inability to move let a lone let go of the lamp and my dad running outside and knocking it out of my hand with a broom.  It felt like an eternity but was probably less than 20 seconds.  

I actually remember looking up the front leg of a horse.  My mother tells me there was a time when I was 1 that a Vancouver Policeman came by their picnic in Stanley Park on horseback and the horse stomped the ground with it's front hoof right beside my head.  Don't know if that is the source of my memory but I spent no other time with horses.  

It was early summer just a couple months before I turned 3, my dad brought home my first baseball glove and we played catch in the front yard.  I remember him trying to instruct me on how to use it.  We played catch many times in the front yard but that first time is the one I remember.

• Heart 2

When I was born, we lived on a street called Dumont in Richardson, Texas.

Years later I told my mother I could describe the fence at the house and I did so.

It had the boards running parallel to the ground and twined between the fence posts sort of like this.

Image result for woven board fence

To this day she tells me there is no way I could remember that fence.

Any who, that fence is my earliest memory.

• Heart 1

My earliest memory is of my Uncle Charlie reaching down to pick me up. He died just after I turned two. I actually used that memory in my first book. For those of you who read it, the only memory James has of his father is based on it.

• Heart 1

I had to be four or five.  I remember riding in the back seat of our car looking through the hole in the floor at the road passing by underneath.  It was big enough to put my foot through, but then again my foot wasn't very big at that age.  Had to be that old as my parents bought a new car in 1955.  :skipping:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I actually remember looking up the front leg of a horse.  My mother tells me there was a time when I was 1 that a Vancouver Policeman came by their picnic in Stanley Park on horseback and the horse stomped the ground with it's front hoof right beside my head.  Don't know if that is the source of my memory but I spent no other time with horses.  

I don't blame you.

My memory of early childhood is also aboot nonexistent.  Probably jumping over old junk bikes on a ramp with my brother on our 20" wheel bikes.  My brother was a terror, but I did manage to knock myself out by loosing it on a gravel road. :(

Too bad because as a tyke, I traveled all over Europe when my dad was in the army.  I remember NOTHING of it. :(