What do you know about autism?

Longjohn

I haven't worked with many autistic kids, but worked with many Special Ed. kids who either came out for the Cross Country team I coached or whose classes I covered during my planning period when there was a severe shortage of substitute teachers.

Until I worked with special needs kids, I had absolutely no conception of what working with them was like and the great patience and insight and understanding required. Even those who can communicate easily often interpret a conversation in a different way than is usual. The sort of entertainment you do with regular kids to keep their attention - a quick joke, a sudden change in voice and tone, a funny picture or odd name - can upset Level 5 (severe) special ed. kids or start them laughing so much you, as a teacher, wonder how you'll ever regain control of the class: and we're talking about a class of only SEVEN kids!

Way to go, Longjohn! I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyone who works with special needs kids and adults.

• Heart 2

The big thing is that people with Autism process differently than we do.  Everyone knows about the Fight or flight feelings but there is also another one called fright.  High alert, no need to flee yet but it could happen at any moment.  What if you felt like that all the time but also had limited verbal ways to express how you were feeling?

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Jack.

We were friends with a fambly where we all suspected the oldest kid had at least Asperbeger's syndrome but we sorta lost touch.  He was a good kid but was just very quiet and didn't read people too well.

Asperberger's isn't Autism.

My son has mild Asperberger's.  So does my nephew, both are highly intelligent and good kids.  Asperberger's generally just have trouble with empathy (they have none) and some social issues.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Asperberger's isn't Autism.

My son has mild Asperberger's.  So does my nephew, both are highly intelligent and good kids.  Asperberger's generally just have trouble with empathy (they have none) and some social issues.

It all gets so confusing with the official diagnosis being so out of whack!  People with Asperberger's need very different supports than those with Autism but both generally need help with pragmatic language, empathy, reading social cues and things like that.   People with Asperberger's make great engineers because they generally have such great strengths in part to whole spatial relations and things like that.  I believe my husband would be diagnosed if he was in school now.  The common thing is that people with Autism are also good kids and many are intelligent.

Thanks Indy for speaking out---- it is such a  highly complex area!!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

It all gets so confusing with the official diagnosis being so out of whack!  People with Asperberger's need very different supports than those with Autism but both generally need help with pragmatic language, empathy, reading social cues and things like that.   People with Asperberger's make great engineers because they generally have such great strengths in part to whole spatial relations and things like that.  I believe my husband would be diagnosed if he was in school now.  The common thing is that people with Autism are also good kids and many are intelligent.

Thanks Indy for speaking out---- it is such a  highly complex area!!

Yeah, they used to separate Autism and Asperberger's but for some reason they stopped.  My son is getting all of that through the school but isn't officially diagnosed with Asperberger's but gets the support and the help as part of his ADHD diagnoses.  We didn't go ahead with the Asperberger's because since they combined it he would be labeled just Autistic now, and both the school and my sister (long time special ed teacher and now program director) advice as it wouldn't gain him any thing and would just pin another label to him that wouldn't be accurate.

• Heart 1

My wife's boss also has Aperberger's.  People with Asperberger's do not make good bosses. 

One of her coworkers got laid off, HR had to explain to their boss why it wasn't a good idea to do balloons and cake for someone's last day when they were getting laid off. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for responding to this thread. This is a new adventure for me but I felt I really needed to offer to help. The lady that heads up the special needs class told me they really needed men after I volunteered. The sixteen year old guys in this class are bigger and stronger than most of the women helpers. I can see that might be a problem during a meltdown. I'm not really sure how many are in this class because the high functioning ones will go to a regular class with their one on one helper at their side. I know of three 16 year old boys. My Zane, a high function Downs boy, and another boy who appears to be the happiest person I've ever met. I think our church is pretty cool to have a program for these people, I just need to learn more so I can be the most help I can. My Zane is the only one that can't handle a classroom setting but I have high hopes for him. If nothing else at least I give his mom a break. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Does she want to work in Rochester?

A. Attention. Do I have your attention

I. Interest. Do i have your interest

D.  Desire. Do you have the desire

A. Action.  Are they buying what you are putting down

Coffee is for closers. Go close that sale

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1