Alaska is as beautiful as they say

TrentonMakes

8 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Seriously, beautiful pics.    :nodhead:

All credit goes to the setting, not the photographer.  I think it's hard not to take a beautiful photo up there.

The blue ice photo is the Hubbard Glacier, which we were told is some 350 feet high and several miles across where it meets the water (the three-level tour boat gives some perspective).  It was one of the warmest days of the trip and huge chunks of ice were falling off into the water, resulting in a sound something like thunder which we heard a few seconds later.  Completely awesome - I could have stared at that for hours.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We went to Alaska for our honeymoon 10 years ago, I think I agree, very hard to top.  We particularity loved Denali park.  If we wen't back, we'd likey stay at the cabin inside the park.

We considered going to Denali, but we pretty much spent two entire days of the vacation traveling to and from AK, and we decided we didn't want to add another 12 hours getting to Denali and back.  My in-laws from Maryland went up, though, and they loved it.  

I took this photo from the Fred Meyer parking lot around 10pm, Anchorage time.  I generally went to bed around 10:30 pm and was up by 6, and I went about ten days without seeing darkness outside.  That was cool.

20170720_211949.jpg

25 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Great pictures TM!  I nominate the following for entry into 'The Best Photos of 2017' collection:

You're too kind.  The photo of the mountains mirrored in the lake is indeed one of my favorites of the entire trip - I just wish it didn't also have the reflection of the LED lights inside the train car.  If I realized it at the time I'd have tried harder to avoid it.