Solar eclipse

Parsnip Totin Jack

So there's a solar eclipse in a few weeks. I had to look up the date (8/21) for this post. The eclipse will be visible across most of North America. The previous total solar eclipse was in 1918. My question for discus is, am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about this event? The movement of the planets around the sun ensures that this will happen on a fairly regular basis, and probably has many times over the course of hundreds of millions of years. I don't see a need to worked up over it. Discus.

We live on the path of totality for the eclipse. They are anticipating thousands of people around here. I have seen a couple partials and they are kind of cool. I am told a total eclipse is on another level. Looking forward to it since I am already here. Not sure I would travel to see one, though. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Old#7 said:

So there's a solar eclipse in a few weeks. I had to look up the date (8/21) for this post. The eclipse will be visible across most of North America. The previous total solar eclipse was in 1918. My question for discus is, am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about this event? The movement of the planets around the sun ensures that this will happen on a fairly regular basis, and probably has many times over the course of hundreds of millions of years. I don't see a need to worked up over it. Discus.

It's cool but not bookmark worthy.  I wouldn't drive several hours south and pay extra for a hotel in an area that is in the totality path.  I haven't bought any glasses yet but it will be fun to experience.  I remember one in the early 60's - as a young snapper it was 'different'

20 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

My question for discus is, am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about this event?

Probably not.  If it were more practical, I would have liked to drive down to experience it.  I was pissed I was living in D.C. when Detroit had the total eclipse although my mom said it was very cloudy that day.

Oregon is expecting millions of visitors.  Our quiet state is going to be a mad house.

We have picked out a camp spot in that path of totality.  Home will be at 90% from what I understand.

I am excited to witness this.  I seem to think I have only seen this once before in my life.  

Certainly it's an event worth watching if in my area and an event worth noting even if not..........unless of course you are dead or simply not interested in the rest of the world.

Would I join the crazy throngs driving far and paying a lot to see it.....no.

I've seen a partial and that was cool.  The animals get all confused.

1 hour ago, Chris... said:

The last total eclipse was 1918. The others were annular, not the same. 

:default_sissy-fight-smiley:

"The key difference is that the Moon is further away from the Earth during an Annular as compared to a Total Eclipse. This gives the appearance of the Moon being smaller in the sky, and it no longer completely covers the Sun."

I saw a partial eclipse in the early 90s.  A group of us were driving, and we got out and looked.  Or thought about looking, since you're not supposed to look.

It will be kind of cool to see how dark it gets, but I'm not altogether excited about it.  I think when I was younger I would have been though.  I will be happy to see other peoples' photos online, or on TV or whatever.

I'm much more excited about camping the weekend prior. :cheerleader:

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Chris... said:

Where are you driving to Jerry?

Probably down to Fort Chartees near Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. I ride my bicycle around that area often and know the back roads to get there if the highways are busy.

http://www.fortdechartres.us/

Of course if the prediction is for clouds there, I will change my plans to somewhere with clear skies if possible.