Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

AirwickWithCheese

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes

Just now, TrentonMakes said:

Yes.  Sports remains one of my favorite pop albums of the 80s.  and "Power Of Love" is irresistible, dated keyboards and all.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste.  

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

You had to show up today of all days Parr8??   :angry:

I first heard them when a local station played "Workin' for a living" and said "Sports" was to be released in a couple weeks. I thought that was a solid album all the way through. I worked at a record store from 84-91. Sold a lot of their stuff. 

Saw them at our state fair a couple years ago. They still sound great! He made a joke about - don't you hate it when a band from the 80s wants to play songs you don't know form their new album?  But they played a couple from the new one they were working on. I thought they sounded great and the crowd seemed to like them too! I need to see if I can find if it got released. 

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

When Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. 

I had a copy of Picture This on cassette - I haven't heard it in years.  But I don't remember liking anything beyond "Do You Believe In Love".

I can certainly appreciate the message of "Hip To Be Square" but somehow I just didn't like the songs on Fore as much. 

I have probably mentioned this before, but when I used to hear "Heart of Rock and Roll" on the Albany radio stations, it included shoutouts of "Syracuse!" and "Albany!" at the end (after Cleveland and Detroit) but I never knew how that came to be.  Sure sounded like Lewis's voice to me.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I had a copy of Picture This on cassette - I haven't heard it in years.  But I don't remember liking anything beyond "Do You Believe In Love".

I can certainly appreciate the message of "Hip To Be Square" but somehow I just didn't like the songs on Fore as much. 

I have probably mentioned this before, but when I used to hear "Heart of Rock and Roll" on the Albany radio stations, it included shoutouts of "Syracuse!" and "Albany!" at the end (after Cleveland and Detroit) but I never knew how that came to be.  Sure sounded like Lewis's voice to me.

psicopata-americano-10.thumb.jpg.04d6fd0cf6e6bb5dcbf84eb978105d60.jpg

I did actually see them in concert.  The old Cardinal Stadium where the AA Redbirds played and Louisville football.  Now both of them have dope new venues.  I remember that it rained, they band was freaking amazing and I went with a hot chick. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. 

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Do you like Phil Collins?

• Heart 1