132 over 78

petitepedal

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

115/68/55.  Weight loss has a profound effect it seems.

Amazing isn't it.  Exercise does a body good.

My doc makes me cheat however.  Because my family history is death by hypertension I have to take one tiny pill a day.  It's a minimum dose Diovan.  She thinks it's easier to control than to cure.

She's right.  At the age of 71 I shoot a 115/70 in her office.  At the age of 71 I'm more worried about extreme low blood pressure.

• Heart 1

Does anyone else get really low blood pressure after, say, a 1 hour bike ride where your heartrate is over 120 most of the way?

Here's what happens to me sometimes and my doctor said that as long as I'm not feeling lightheaded it's fine.

I've driven 20 minutes to home after a ride, measured my blood pressure and gotten numbers like 85/46. After another half hour it's back to maybe 95/60, then back to my "normal" 115/75.

I am on hypertension medication that I take once in the evenings.

I haven't been able to ride for a year and today asked the physical therapist if I can ride by November. She said it's iffy - we'll see how I do with 12 weeks of PT, of which there are 10 to go after my Caribbean Cruise next week.

14 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Does anyone else get really low blood pressure after, say, a 1 hour bike ride where your heartrate is over 120 most of the way?

Here's what happens to me sometimes and my doctor said that as long as I'm not feeling lightheaded it's fine.

I've driven 20 minutes to home after a ride, measured my blood pressure and gotten numbers like 85/46. After another half hour it's back to maybe 95/60, then back to my "normal" 115/75.

I haven't been able to ride for a year and today asked the physical therapist if I can ride by November. She said it's iffy - we'll see how I do with 12 weeks of PT, of which there are 10 to go after my Caribbean Cruise next week.

You don't ride a handbike do you? What the heck does shoulder surgery have to do with riding a bicycle?

My BP was good until my visit in May...but after the Great Adventure...instead of being able to capitalize on 9 days of hard biking and the miles before the trip...as well as a wonderful September and October :angry: I spent 3 weeks on "Stay Out of the Sun" antibiotics  and then my allergies went wild :wacko:  I could not win...by late November I was fighting a cough...So in December I decided to work on my house....Now I don't necessarily eat well when I am sick or tired...I tend to go for what is quick...and frozen pizza became a staple...I will say I ate more Frozen pizza in 4 months than I would normally eat in 2 or 3 years....And I was working hard on the wallpaper and floor...so I didn't do the gym during the week :whistle:  This was a train wreck waiting to happen!!

2 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Been there, done that, got away with it. B)

I passed a slow moving Cadillac on the right with my Integra GS-R.  And by slow, I mean slow.  And somehow he got offended.  I mean, what is it with people that are going 68 in the left lane with no traffic for miles?  Anyway, he had a case of small penis complex, and decided "he'd show me".

Only he didn't.  Man, I still miss that car.  Sold it in 2005.

94integra.JPG

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You don't ride a handbike do you? What the heck does shoulder surgery have to do with riding a bicycle?

Leaning forward to grip the handlebar, even on a straight bar on a mountain bike, puts pressure on your shoulder. When you're trying to accelerate or go uphill, you get you arms, shoulder, and back into it enough it could cause a problem.

My shoulder (supraspinatus) tendon was so ripped it was completely removed from the ball of the humerus (upper arm) bone, three screws each with four sutures each were inserted below the ball of the humerus, and the shoulder tendon reattached with 12 stitches a little lower on the arm bone so it will re-adhere even better than originally.  I also have stitches in a partly-ripped biceps tendon.

Until about September, I'm not even supposed to lift anything more than 5 pounds with it, and even then only with my elbow against my side.

I was told I have ceramic screws in my arm. I hope there's no metal to set off the airport sensors on Saturday!

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My wife has HBO and hers drops frequently after excersize.

21 hours ago, petitepedal said:

My B P. Better than over 90....I will keep at it.

Getting better.  

I just stopped taking my 1/2 pill of Propanolol. Took my pressure last night, and it was 126/73.  Not perfect, but good.  Very happy about that. I hate meds.  Actually, I stopped taking on accident.  I forgot my bottle, before a long trip.  I just never started taking it again.  Seems to be ok.  HAHA