Do you ever have second thoughts about cycling...

Road Runner

My wife and I both share the same inherently dangerous pastimes, cycling, snowmobiling, motorcycling, etc. But since we're always together, if one of us gets involved in an accident, chances are the other could be involved too. While my family could easily survive my passing, they would be devastated if my wife passed too. So we need to weigh the risks before we leave the house. While cycling we just choose to stick to the trails more. Motorcycling we ride out in the country away from heavy traffic. Snowmobiling we stay away from the crowds and never venture out on the ice unless we know its safe.

since I want to ride as many years as I can and also because I'm not actually trying to kill myself, I just accept that it could happen, I do the same sort of thing, scooter.

I don't like to ride in the "I''m getting home from work" traffic, I stay away from high traffic roads, I don't ride in groups anymore, ...I ride like an old lady, some might say

when I'm out on the road with a friend, I'll be telling them about subtle little dangers up ahead....there's a seam in the road just after the apex of that corner...there's a narrow stone bridge at the bottom of the next hill...cars blow that stop sign a lot...its funny. A couple of my buddies noticed it.

Its because at every single one of those places I came within a hair of getting killed sometime over the last 15 years

so minimize risk, but don't dwell on it

While I'm sure bosox isn't enjoying riding in for another surgery, I'm also just as sure that if I thought about, I mean REALLY thought about, what happened to me the last time I was hit I would never throw my leg over a bicycle again.

BTW...tomorrow is opening day for me and this 2014 bicycling season

listen, just to be clear...I haven't turned a pedal in anger in over 5 years, so I'm just a recreational rider anymore

You would definitely want to ride with me out here, since this part of the country was made for bicycles.

Other than that, if you haven't noticed some of the things I've said about intervals, computers, training and all that vs just riding bikes, I get the enjoyment of riding by riding through the scenery and not by competing with anybody

but I'm still a strong rider and not many people do the things that I do or go and ride the roads that I ride. That's how I know that I'm still pretty strong, but its just from riding a lot for a lot of years

listen, just to be clear...I haven't turned a pedal in anger in over 5 years, so I'm just a recreational rider anymore

You would definitely want to ride with me out here, since this part of the country was made for bicycles.

Other than that, if you haven't noticed some of the things I've said about intervals, computers, training and all that vs just riding bikes, I get the enjoyment of riding by riding through the scenery and not by competing with anybody

but I'm still a strong rider and not many people do the things that I do or go and ride the roads that I ride. That's how I know that I'm still pretty strong, but its just from riding a lot for a lot of years

I will reply to this, after my ride to work.  I have to ponder a sassy reply.  

I don't mind continuing to berate you and your chances in a bike race with me, but its really more in the spirit of the French guys on the castle wall taunting Graham Chapman in the Holy Grail

I don't mind continuing to berate you and your chances in a bike race with me, but its really more in the spirit of the French guys on the castle wall taunting Graham Chapman in the Holy Grail

:)

I would expect these sort of comments from someone ready to concede.   :o

so what? I'm confident too

you know why? because if we race on my roads, you won't be able to find your way to the finish. It'll be like the tortoise and the hare

you'll turn yourself inside out and there I'll be waiting for you up the road

you'd think you was in a Bugs Bunny cartoon! :P

I'm a little intrigued by this comment. Competition and angry aren't synonymous. Does competition for you have to involve anger? Just curious.

I will ride with just about anyone. And will ride at the level they are comfortable with. But to be honest, any ride with me can go from recreational to full on competition in pretty much 0 seconds. I love to compete. And I may not be the fastest or strongest rider, but I will give whomever I am racing with all I have. And it's always fun. Can't say I'm ever angry when I do that.