Do You Ride Campagnolo?

ChrisL

If not have you wanted too?

10 years ago I got a big fat bonus and bought a dream bike.  Of course it had to be equipped with Campy Record, at the time the top of their line.  Got a smoking deal but still spent close to $5K for the bike.

Yeah the bike is cool and it gets a lot of attention at coffee stops but in hindsight I wish I had gotten Shimano.  No it doesn't have the bling factor but I could've gotten two awesome Shimano equipped bikes for the price of that one Campy equipped bike.  I ride Ultegra on my CX bike and it performs just as well as my Campy drivetrain.

Bang for the buck there is no beating Shimano stuff.  Even their Tiagra valve stem covers are the bomb!

• Awesome 1

Campy rider here. I built the Seven with Campy Chorus and "splurged" on Record shifters. Due to incidents over five years, I've had to replace the front and rear derailleur. I upgraded to Super Record. The cranks are still Chorus. My advice to those thinking about going Italian is that it isn't cheap. I wouldn't do anything different if I had a do over but it isn't cheap.

Around here at least, Campy seems to have fallen out of favour. There is a large roadie culture here, and while I don't identify with that bunch as a rider, I certainly get to wrench on a lot of high end road machines.

Several years ago, Campy was quite a lot more popular than it was now.Sometimes, I go weeks without seeing a Campy equipped machine come through the shop.

I must say though, that having the opportunity to test ride the bikes I service, there are some things I really like about them. Non indexed front shifting is high on that list.