Speed you're comfortable with

Further

There was a time that I went 194 mph, another at 158 mph on a public road (closed temporarily for the run, did you think I was an outlaw).  I was young and immortal then.  Today I know that my reflexes, eyesight and coordination aren't that good.  Today I cruse at 5 over the limit.

On a bike I top out at about 30 now.  On the trails, 20 seems fast.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There was a time that I went 194 mph, another at 158 mph on a public road (closed temporarily for the run, did you think I was an outlaw).  I was young and immortal then.  Today I know that my reflexes, eyesight and coordination aren't that good.  Today I cruse at 5 over the limit.

On a bike I top out at about 30 now.  On the trails, 20 seems fast.

That is fast. You have always had my respect, but now you have a bit more.

Mid 30s quite a few times. One time I got the wheel shimmy going b/c of an improperly tightened steering tube, that scared me. Quite a lot of hills around here, but they all seem to have a stop sign half way down or at the bottom or both. I'm a pretty big guy, at high speeds that's a lot of energy to dissipate on rim brakes  

137 on I459 in a modified 280ZX, not a closed road, I'm an outlaw B)

• Heart 1

47 on the road bike a couple years ago. I hit 42 earlier this summer. Those speeds don't scare me, but they have my full attention. I was more nervous coming down South Mountain this Wednesday!  Trying to get slowed down for a few of the tight corners was intense!  The back end of the bike got light a few times!  My fastest speed was about 32, but frequently carried speeds in the 20s through corners. 

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

Mid 30s quite a few times. One time I got the wheel shimmy going b/c of an improperly tightened steering tube, that scared me. Quite a lot of hills around here, but they all seem to have a stop sign half way down or at the bottom or both. I'm a pretty big guy, at high speeds that's a lot of energy to dissipate on rim brakes  

137 on I459 in a modified 280ZX, not a closed road, I'm an outlaw B)

Hill country with intersections and stop signs is why I prefer disc brakes.  In years past I've dismounted tires that had the bead obviously overheated and partially melted.  When I realized how close that must have been to popping a tube at speed I swapped over.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Hill country with intersections and stop signs is why I prefer disc brakes.

From work down to the parking lot is a fairly steep hill. There’s a stop sign/speed bump and a “guard shack” at the bottom. I always rail it because it’s fun. I’ve developed complete confidence in the Ultegra discs on my Slate. I have to slide my ass back, but I know I can get it whoa-ed down, no problem

I was on my Roubaix a couple of weeks ago. Coming down a steep hill at about 40 and there’s an immediate left at the bottom. I was squeezing for all I was worth and still wasn’t sure I was going to get enough speed scrubbed off to make the turn.

There’s a new road bike in my future next year.

• Heart 1

51 is the fastest I've ever been on a bike. Pretty easy to hit 40+ on some of the hills around here but they are fairly short. On one of my routes as you come back into town it's a slight, 1-2%, downhill. Makes a nice little sprint. I've hit 34 on that, which technically is speeding as it's a 30 mph zone.?

Over fifty on my Free Spirit ten speed down a steep long hill with many driveways and crossroads on it. Some how I made it down alive, but when I grabbed a handful of brake at the end, I think I actually heard the bike say "Pfftt, good luck speed racer". Then I crashed into an old guys vegetable garden. :unsure:

Still have that bike 40 some years later.

more bike pics 001.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Were those old style "can't stop when wet" steel rims?  My experience with that ended up in a barb wire fence.

Lol, it came with those red rubber pads that would make flatulent noises to let everyone know I was trying to slow down. Looking at the picture, I recently tried to modernize it with new style pads and even a computer. Probably when I put the new gumwall tires on. I still kinda like that bike. :D

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

Lol, it came with those red rubber pads that would make flatulent noises to let everyone know I was trying to slow down. Looking at the picture, I recently tried to modernize it with new style pads and even a computer. Probably when I put the new gumwall tires on. I still kinda like that bike. :D

Love it!!!

• Heart 1