Today's ride

TrentonMakes

well, I said I would post photos of Saturday's ride, so I will honor that promise - but they aren't as nice as TK's.

Soon after I repaired my flat tire I crossed the Delaware River from Phillipsburg NJ to Easton PA (pictured).  This bridge is a work of art (and an old one).  

20170812_123137.jpg

20170812_123140_001.jpg

20170812_123310.jpg

• Heart 1

Just upstream is the highway bridge (US 22) that superseded the one pictured above.  The river's running pretty high for August.

Back in NJ, riding along the river above Phillipsburg.  No worries - I was wearing my helmet!  I actually did see a few stones on the road that seemed to have come from above.  The slope at left is on the other side of the river.

20170812_123323.jpg

20170812_130341.jpg

• Heart 1

Finally, the main event.  

20170812_134729.jpg

It started innocently enough...

20170812_134714.jpg

....but that didn't last.  It already hurt and this wasn't the worst of it.

20170812_135034.jpg

20170812_135037.jpg

I think I took this picture the third time I put a foot down.  No way the photo can convey what I was looking at.  Strava lists a 100-foot segment at 22.5%, on which I am currently ranked 544 out of 566.  (Maybe I'm not the only one who walked it.)  In my defense, just to get here I did a lot more climbing than I'd anticipated.

20170812_135811.jpg

• Heart 3

Back down to civilization - Fiddlers Elbow Road ends at "Cass Brastle Road" (according to some maps).  If I'd followed that east it would have taken me to "Brass Castle Road".  That kills me.  

I thought a two-bore tunnel on a County highway under a railroad was unusual.  CR 519 consistently shows up on lists of NJ's most scenic roads - this was just south of Route 57.  It was around this time I was seriously looking for a place to get a slice of pizza.  I don't usually get strong food cravings while riding - the fact that I did today suggested that I'd better do it quickly.

On the home stretch, southbound below Phillipsburg, looking at the Delaware River Bridge to Riegelsville, PA.  I really hope they keep up with the maintenance of these bridges, because if they ever have to be reconstructed I doubt they will be as nice to look at. 

Between Phillipsburg and Milford, NJ, a lot of the road alongside the river looks like this - railroad tracks and a one- or two-lane road squeezed in between the rock cliffs and the river.  This is the old Belvidere-Delaware line - closer to home the tracks have been removed, creating the "towpath" along the canal.  I didn't realize how much of this track is still intact.

thanks for lookin'. :D

20170812_143233.jpg

20170812_154528.jpg

20170812_160809.jpg

20170812_160818.jpg

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I believe you're duly entitled to rename this post "The Fiddler's Elbow Death March".

But the difference between your ride and mine is that I went up there knowing how steep that hill was going to be. 

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You would tear my legs off. Tall people have some mad pedal strokes. 

That's true but I still have 240 pounds to carry up the hill.  And only a double chainring... my granny gear is a 34x32.   

I averaged 1.6mph for that steepest segment. :lol:

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

That's true but I still have 240 pounds to carry up the hill.

No way!  You don't look it, for whatever that may be worth.

7 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

1.6mph

Well, I admit I almost feel a little better that I managed to hold a blazing :whistle: 2.3mph with a 39x27 on the steepest grade I rode yesterday. ;)   A true testament of how stubborn stupidity and irrational, inflated pride can combine to accomplish something entirely inconsequential!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

A true testament of how stubborn stupidity and irrational, inflated pride can combine to accomplish something entirely inconsequential!

If you stayed on the bike and kept it moving forward, that's hardly inconsequential. :cheerleader:

I so badly wanted to do the same.  When I was younger I was far too quick to get off the bike and walk when the road went up.  I have made it my mission to ride everything, even if I have to stop multiple times.  Slow and steady in a low gear has been serving me well, but not this time.