I quit today

JerrySTL

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Defense work is fun yes?

Next, on the other side of the coin, non military people will imply that you are an ass for working in the MIC.

The money is good and the commute is only 15 minutes. However the work itself in maddening with all the bureaucracy and incompetent government employees. As I was telling a coworker today, it's a good thing that there are government jobs to employed all the idiots and asses. Just think what damage that they could do in private industry!

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

The money is good and the commute is only 15 minutes. However the work itself in maddening with all the bureaucracy and incompetent government employees. As I was telling a coworker today, it's a good thing that there are government jobs to employed all the idiots and asses. Just think what damage that they could do in private industry!

In private industry, you just use the Dilbert Principle and promote the incompetent to where they'll do the least amount of damage --management.

That, and as the government offers lower wages in a number of fields, it kind of makes sense that private industry gets those who  have more talent in at least some areas.  Government, you probably see a lot of people who are happy with a middling wage, but decent benefits and consistency, who don't have a huge desire to be upwardly mobile.

Say, are you guys hiring?

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Dunno, we seem to get quite a few who may be unfit for even gummint work.

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

it's a good thing that there are government jobs to employed all the idiots and asses.

Oh my god are you ever wrong there. Government holds no monopoly on idiocy.

Source: Spent 25 years working in private industry with people with the intellectual agility of a soap dish.

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Ain't that the truth.  Lately, I think I have it out with boss a couple times a month because of all the bureaucratic bs.  The strange culture of military mixed with people from private industry at times makes you want to pull your hair out.

7 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Oh my god are you ever wrong there. Government holds no monopoly on idiocy.

Source: Spent 25 years working in private industry with people with the intellectual agility of a soap dish.

Yeah, they are called management.  My bosses boss is a prime example, but she's such a good brown noser, she's being moved to a new position.  YEA FOR ME!!!

In the conference call she said she expected this job to be a long term one, at least 18 months (she was in it almost a year) and that are new boss really cares about the employees, he worked really hard to make sure new employees had a computer and a chair when they started.

I hung up after those two comments, what a f'ing brain dead idiot.  18mo long term? 

Making sure someone has the very basic stuff to do their job when they start is going above and beyond, and really caring?  I thought that was just doing your f'ing job.

10 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

promote the incompetent to where they'll do the least amount of damage --management.

My former CEO was every bit as good a CEO as he was as an engineer.

He thought it was Ok to violate a blueprint dimension on a die and fix it with duct tape.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Ain't that the truth.  Lately, I think I have it out with boss a couple times a month because of all the bureaucratic bs.  The strange culture of military mixed with people from private industry at times makes you want to pull your hair out.

Ss where does this leave @Square Wheels 

17 minutes ago, Indy said:

18mo long term? 

To those who think "quarterly", it is!

The same kind of thinking as those who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of half the Maintenance Department or not buy proprietary replacement parts for a mission-critical machine, when the vendor told them it would no longer be supported. ?

37 minutes ago, Indy said:

18mo long term?

Depends on perspective. Our company was built on turn-around/shut-down work in the pulp & paper industry. 14 days is a long shut-down, most go Saturday/Sunday to the following Sunday. Blow & go for 8 or 9, 14-16 hour days or two 12 hour shifts per day. We are transitioning out of the paradigm, but a 18 month project is long term (for us).

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yup. Took about a 30% pay cut to come here, but am much much happier.

Now instead of working with people who are completely brain dead, I work with people who are too smart - which poses it's own challenges.

Too smart, or too smart for their own good?

I worked in the defense industry for a while and they had active duty Air Force guys on the facility all the time.  I once had a Air Force Lt Col try to give me a rash & a shit about security procedures and that those people like me who never served have no freaking clue....  I didn't want to get into it with him and just told him how it was going to be and have a good day...  Most of the embedded officers were pretty cool though. 

I work with a less educated but more family and results oriented company now and I really like it.  Its refreshing.  Nobody is hung up on titles, they just want to get the job done and do a great job doing it. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I worked in the defense industry for a while and they had active duty Air Force guys on the facility all the time.  I once had a Air Force Lt Col try to give me a rash & a shit about security procedures and that those people like me who never served have no freaking clue....  I didn't want to get into it with him and just told him how it was going to be and have a good day...  Most of the embedded officers were pretty cool though. 

I work with a less educated but more family and results oriented company now and I really like it.  Its refreshing.  Nobody is hung up on titles, they just want to get the job done and do a great job doing it. 

Great post son.  

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20 YOU WHINY LITTLE MAGGOT!