How I get to spend my day, today....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

21 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

whatcha makin'?

"Things". (Damfino).

They need this high-tech foam a certain thickness and flatness. And since it's "closed cell foam" I'm also "breaking open the bubbles" so that the epoxy in the carbon fiber that's getting glued over it will adhere better.

After I do both sides to thickness, I get to cut the profile:

52475431505__FFC80BBF-09E3-40E9-806C-426B63F2C946.MOV

Nice, mindless work for a Friday. ?

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

"Things". (Damfino).

high-tech foam a certain thickness and flatness. And since it's "closed cell foam" I'm also "breaking open the bubbles" so that the epoxy in the carbon fiber that's getting glued over it will adhere better.

Nice. We mainly machine steel, brass, and aluminum, but we also machine Polyamide-imide and virgin polytetrafluoroethylene for valve seals. Looks like you're using a TiN coated endmill?

48 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice. We mainly machine steel, brass, and aluminum, but we also machine Polyamide-imide and virgin polytetrafluoroethylene for valve seals

I had no idea what the hell Rohacell was until they handed it to me. Went to their website to see if there was any info about machining it. Basically all it said was "yeah, you can machine it". Gee, thanks. ?

Looks like you're using a TiN coated endmill?

Yeah, that was the best 1/8" one I happened to have.  They buy cheap shit here because the students are rough on stuff. I have my own carbide stash, though. ?

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I had no idea what the hell Rohacell was until they handed it to me. Went to their website to see if there was any info about machining it. Basically all it said was "yeah, you can machine it". Gee, thanks. ?

Yeah, that was the best 1/8" one I happened to have.  They buy cheap shit here because the students are rough on stuff. I have my own carbide stash, though. ?

Nice. We have a machine guide from the PAI manufacturer that we machine. We machine seals from round bar, and need to use Tin Carbide because PAI is tough on tooling. HSS just wouldn't do. There are so many plastics (and I use plastic generically) out there. Specifically w/ an infinite number of blends.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice. We have a machine guide from the PAI manufacturer that we machine. We machine seals from round bar, and need to use Tin Carbide because PAI is tough on tooling. HSS just wouldn't do. There are so many plastics (and I use plastic generically) out there. Specifically w/ an infinite number of blends.

Strangest shit I've done so far has been Carbon nanofoam. All the usual sensory type feedback I've used over the years doesn't work with this stuff. You can't come down and touch it with a cutter and feel it. You can be peeling .010 off and there's no sound, very little visual evidence.... Almost impossible to tell when you're touching it, to know how much to cut!  It doesn't behave like any metal - it can be springy, but brittle as hell, at the same time. :wacko:

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Strangest shit I've done so far has been Carbon nanofoam. All the usual sensory type feedback I've used over the years doesn't work with this stuff. You can't come down and touch it with a cutter and feel it. You can be peeling .010 off and there's no sound, very little visual evidence.... Almost impossible to tell when you're touching it, to know how much to cut!  It doesn't behave like any metal - it can be springy, but brittle as hell, at the same time. :wacko:

must make touching the tools off very difficult