Do you eat a lot of salt?

Randomguy

You should get 1 of those large slabs of himalyan salt they sell as a grill, you could use it as a trencher to serve your food on also.

I don't eat a lot of salt, mostly it's in processed foods, I eat next to nothing of those. Even make my own bread, so they can't catch me there.

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

You should get 1 of those large slabs of himalyan salt they sell as a grill, you could use it as a trencher to serve your food on also.

I don't eat a lot of salt, mostly it's in processed foods, I eat next to nothing of those. Even make my own bread, so they can't catch me there.

Neat concept.  I think it would be a nice presentation.  

Personally, I think the salt slab is a rich thing.  They are expensive and I have read about how they crack and break after only a couple of uses. I can't afford for my meals to get any more expensive than they already are.  Cherries were 12 bucks, yesterday.  A tiny basket of blueberries were 5 bucks.  Cripes.  I need money for pro bikes and fancy balsamic.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Neat concept.  I think it would be a nice presentation.  

Personally, I think the salt slab is a rich thing.  They are expensive and I have read about how they crack and break after only a couple of uses. I can't afford for my meals to get any more expensive than they already are.  Cherries were 12 bucks, yesterday.  A tiny basket of blueberries were 5 bucks.  Cripes.  I need money for pro bikes and fancy balsamic.

I've just been outside at work and picked & scoffed tons of blackcurrants and blackberries - cannot beat free food. At store prices I probably ate about £7 - 8. I did not salt them.

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

I've just been outside at work and picked & scoffed tons of blackcurrants and blackberries - cannot beat free food. At store prices I probably ate about £7 - 8. I did not salt them.

We can get blackberries during early fall.  Huckleberries are higher in the mountains, like about 2-3 hours to get them...also in Fall.

I've always liked the taste of salt but in the last year what with my doc trying to get me to take BP tablets I've cut down big time and have lost a few pounds as well by eating more fruit/veg/salad.

Anything to avoid the need for long-term medication.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have heard they crack after very few uses. That would piss me off and feel like a waste.

"To prevent cracking, the block must be warmed in stages, first on low heat, then medium, then high in 15-minute increments. On a gas grill, start it directly over a low burner with the lid down. After 15 minutes, turn that burner and another burner to medium, and 15 minutes later, increase the heat to high. You could also heat the block directly over the grill's side burner if it has one, gradually increasing the flame. On a charcoal grill, use a 2-zone setup and start on the indirect side for 15 minutes, then move it closer to the coals for another 15, then right over the coals until it's raging hot. If you're inside on an electric range, put the block on a metal ring such as a wok ring, a tart pan with a removable bottom, so the block is not in contact with the burner. It can take 45 minutes to get the block up to searing temperatures of 450 to 500°F. To check the temp, use an infrared gun thermometer or sprinkle on a drop of water. It should disappear almost instantly."

Linky

I may try one, just for shit &giggles. 

Depends on the season.  Like today for instance, and most of this month even, after a hard day outside and a LOT of sweat and water intake, I take about a half teaspoon of sea salt (Himalayan pink salt) with more water.  This helps with my heart rate that gets out of whack on hot days.  Other than that I generally take whatever salt is put on when the food is cooked.  I do NOT drink energy drinks, or Gator/PowerAde.