So how was it for you?

Road Runner

No big deal really, but I did notice one pretty interesting thing.  While walking around in the yard during the eclipse, even though it was still relatively bright daylight (88% eclipse), it was cool that my skin and body weren't being baked as would normally be the case any other time that big light is in the sky this time of year.  It's like my brain was programmed to expect heat when I stepped into the sunlight, but there was none (at least not noticeable).

I think we should have more eclipses.  It would also help to reduce global warming.   :)  

• Heart 1

About 1/4 mile from the exact centerline  (according to NASA's map plot), the temperature dropped about 10 degrees during totality.  This was at about 4,790 feet above sea level.  The smoke level also contributed a little.  I had a spot to watch from already checked out, as well as a return route, which was good as the area was jam packed with out of state and Canadian visitors.  If I had taken the usual return route I would still be on the road for another hour at least.

During totality, the combines and trucks harvesting grain in the area had to turn on all of their lights to continue operating.

• Heart 1

We were due a 10% eclipse around sunset but there were clouds on the horizon and I couldn't be bothered anyway.

A couple of eclipse groupies from Ireland were interviewed on the news outside their tent somewhere in the States. Woman said she was so excited she knew she would either cry or scream when it happened. 

:skipping:

Excellent! Lots of heavy clouds in the area but there were gaps while the Moon was starting to block the sun. Then the clouds parted during the totality. We had a little over 2 minutes worth to watch. The next solar eclipse in 2024 won't be too far from where we live also. In fact Chris's house should be right on the edge of that one.

• Heart 1

I was riding my bike, wasn't sure when it was supposed to happen here. I didn't expect to notice anything, then I saw a bunch of Amish standing outside with eclipse glasses on looking up at the sky so I figured this must be it. I stopped and took a picture. For the second time in my life I was underwhelmed by the sight and here it is if you missed it.

IMG_2928.JPG

• Heart 1

I was two floors underground. It looked exactly the same as it does every other day. My boss and two cow-orkers took welding helmets and went outside for about two hours. They asked me if I wanted to go and I politely declined.

It’s one of those things that’s actually cooler in theory.

Worked last night so happy I was able to witness the eclipse. Started to go Downtown but decided to drop in on MomCheese. She surprised me by already having her glasses.   :) 

It was fun watching the new kittens run for their lives. Realized I wouldn't make it to the next big one in Greenville (2074?) so gave MomCheese a nice kiss on the cheek. Life goes by so fast.  

• Heart 3

We were in the totality. Our boss bought Subway sandwiches, we pulled one phone out the door in case it rang, and watched from lawn chairs in the parking lot. He let me take photos well beyond normal lunch time. I had one camera on a tripod with a solar filter the other camera I handheld during the totality. It was pretty cool. Sky went black overhead, but looks like twilight if you looked at the horizons. Here's a photo of the dark side of the moon!

IMG_1554.JPG

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

We were in the totality. Our boss bought Subway sandwiches, we pulled one phone out the door in case it rang, and watched from lawn chairs in the parking lot. He let me take photos well beyond normal lunch time. I had one camera on a tripod with a solar filter the other camera I handheld during the totality. It was pretty cool. Sky went black overhead, but looks like twilight if you looked at the horizons. Here's a photo of the dark side of the moon!

IMG_1554.JPG

What a great photo!

I saw a total eclipse as well. I have to say it was amazing. As a kid I saw a partial and we did the pinhole thing in school. It looked a drawing on paper. It was kind of underwhelming.

The total eclipse was incredible. Watching it through glasses was okay, but when it went total and I took my glasses off, I couldn't believe how cool it looked. The temp dropped 10-15 degrees. We could see Jupiter and some stars. I loved it.

• Heart 2

96% coverage.  Went out in the backyard.  Had glasses.  Hardly a cloud in the sky.  It was cool to watch the sun through the glasses.  It got noticeably darker, cooler, quieter.  But not as dark as I would have thought.  I went into the house after the "totality" and the house was very dark.  It was almost eerie.

10 hours ago, Sir AirwickWithCheese said:

Worked last night so happy I was able to witness the eclipse. Started to go Downtown but decided to drop in on MomCheese. She surprised me by already having her glasses.   :) 

It was fun watching the new kittens run for their lives. Realized I wouldn't make it to the next big one in Greenville (2074?) so gave MomCheese a nice kiss on the cheek. Life goes by so fast.  

Since the next big one in the USA will be April 8, 2024 and the dark zone will be very near here you are all invited over for an eclipse ice cream party.  We will run the antique engine powered ice cream freezer while it is dark.  When the sun comes back out we will celebrate  with excellent home made ice cream.  Just for @Sir AirwickWithCheese I will invite some cute hippie girls over. (as long as they don't smell like pigs. sorry @Wilbur)

My freezer I am building is very similar to this one.

• Heart 1