Cornell Recipe Chicken

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Around here, during the summer, you can’t turn a corner without tripping over a chicken BBQ fundraiser - church group, fire department, Boy Scout troop, Kiwanis club, whatever. It’s so ubiquitous I assumed it was everywhere. Now I hear otherwise. @BuffJim, @Airehead, @Zackny probably have had this, but have any of you others?

Linky

Most of the time it’s halves or quarters, but I just used thighs.

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.d00032007249d069188df363f8248164.JPG

@smudge, you listenin’?

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Around here, during the summer, you can’t turn a corner without tripping over a chicken BBQ fundraiser - church group, fire department, Boy Scout troop, Kiwanis club, whatever. It’s so ubiquitous I assumed it was everywhere. Now I hear otherwise. @BuffJim, @Airehead, @Zackny probably have had this, but have any of you others?

Linky

@smudge, you listenin’?

Yuppers!! I have at least the next 4 weeks off work. I'll be cookin' and putting together a nifty bike puzzle. Whoo hoo!

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

Always served with a dinner roll, Cole slaw, and sat potatoes

Apparently the dinner roll is mandatory, but around here (oddly enough, in the home of salt potatoes) it's usually poatato salad and baked beans. The dee-lux versions have pie, too.

• Awesome 1

Looks good, i think ill try it on my CHARCOAL grill!  

We have a couple of community fundraisers but they are fishfrys. As a child we would go to it every year and when my mom was still in good shape she used to take my brother & I and our families for nostalgia.  Now Im down for some good fish & chips but these fish frys turn my intestines inside out.  The fish and fries are soaked in oil and my stomach can't handle it. Id be in the porta john within an hour of eating it....  

We have a large chicken BBQ fundraiser (Kiwanis Club I believe) as part of a local 4th of July parade here in a nearby town.  The smell of the chicken envelops the parade and the several thousand in attendance.  They start selling when the last float goes past.  Serious subliminal marketing.  It's hard to stay away. 

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

We have a large chicken BBQ fundraiser (Kiwanis Club I believe) as part of a local 4th of July parade here in a nearby town.  The smell of the chicken envelops the parade and the several thousand in attendance.  They start selling when the last float goes past.  Serious subliminal marketing.  It's hard to stay away. 

When we worked numerous snack bars for softball and baseball tournaments we found it worked better to fire up the grill and keep a couple of dogs and burgers going at all times as the smell wafting through the fields would bring people in.  If we precooked and kept warm with nothing actually grilling there would be no smell thus fewer purchases.  

It worked amazingly well.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

When we worked numerous snack bars for softball and baseball tournaments we found it worked better to fire up the grill and keep a couple of dogs and burgers going at all times as the smell wafting through the fields would bring people in.  If we precooked and kept warm with nothing actually grilling there would be no smell thus fewer purchases.  

It worked amazingly well.

drizzle some machine oil on the hot coals and the robots will come in droves! 

• Heart 1

Every weekend in every little town around here. We used to do a couple a year to raise money for projects in Haiti. We did ok but we're in competition with every fire department and snowmobile club around. Last year we decided to do a pie auction. Raised 4K in an hour and a half. A lot of people heard about it afterwards and are asking when we will do it again. I expect we may do better this year.

1 minute ago, Zackny said:

Every weekend in every little town around here.

I figured, but in assuming it was ubiquitous, I’ve been proven wrong before!

Several area fire departments do Lobster sales - you order your lobsters one weekend, and the following weekend they halves them trucked in and you can pick them up. It was through one of these that I found I actually have a saturation point for lobster - 6.

Hey, how familiar are you with North Creek? Going up to Garnet Hill in a couple of weeks.

5 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Never been but would like to ski there. Didn't Airehead go there?

I’ve been there a number of times, but it’s been a loooong time. Mountain and Boardertown was still open when I was there. (Coolest store ever). Gonna bring a bike for the trails, and a road bike as well.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:03 PM, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Linky

@smudge, you listenin’?

Hey Ray, Do they still do the clam & beer tent at the fireman field days ?

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

In Maryland we tend to have Crab Feasts or Bull and Oyster Roasts, but Chicken BBQ's are also popular.

I was home last weekend and had crab cakes and chicken salad at a Boy Scout fundraiser by the side of the road.  We took ours to go because they did not have beer.  Dinner roll. Beans and potato salad to round it out.  Oh, and a it to bow with MAryand lope for a salad.

10 hours ago, Further said:

Hey Ray, Do they still do the clam & beer tent at the fireman field days ?

I haven’t been in years. The only attractions were clams, they served underaged people :whistle: and it was a decent spot to meet girls. Now, if I want clams, I buy them and steam them myself, I’m not underaged and therefore forced to drink really bad beer...and I doubt my “picking up girls” game is what it used to be.

Watching some seriously wasted rednecks and the fights would still be fun, I guess. (I watched a friend of mine who was a former MP in the Marines endure some serious shit-talking from some guy once....for a few minutes. Then he sighed, handed me his beer, turned around and hit the guy with an open hand and the guy went down like a sack of shit. Then he turned back around, took his beer back and resumed the conversation).

Sadly, a lot of fire departments don’t even have field days anymore. Liability, I suppose.

• Heart 1