Need more thoughts, prayers, vibes or whatever

TrentonMakes

Yesterday my father in law was found unresponsive at the bus stop in Gaithersburg, after suffering what appears to have been a major heart attack. He's in ICU basically on life support - his heart was stopped for far too long not to expect organ damage, probably major. He has a DNR, and my wife and her sisters are going to be dealing with some heavy stuff here.

Right now I'm with the kids at his house in Frederick. I remember last fall being here knowing her mom wouldn't ever see the place again. I hate this feeling. 

As it happens, today is also my wife's birthday. :(

thanks, friends. 

Sending vibes and prayers your way from down in Anne Arundel County.

These times are always tough.  I took my mother had a DNR and the end played out long enough that we were at peace when it came.  I hope your family is also able to deal with it ok if it comes to that.

My FiL's condition hasn't really changed - he's still sedated and every time they try to roll that back he starts squirming as if he's uncomfortable - it's hard to see, but while he's sedated they really can't get a good read on things like brain function.  His three daughters are together with him - they don't always get along, really, but at times like this they are completely unified.

thanks again for your thoughts and prayers; they mean a lot.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the end the organ damage was too much (though this was no surprise). Jim stopped breathing and died peacefully yesterday afternoon.

My wife asked me to be in the room with her as he passed - one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but it was an honor to be present, on both her behalf and his. He was a great man. 

Above all we are comforted to know that he and his beloved Joan are together again. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and kind words. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

In the end the organ damage was too much (though this was no surprise). Jim stopped breathing and died peacefully yesterday afternoon.

My wife asked me to be in the room with her as he passed - one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but it was an honor to be present, on both her behalf and his. He was a great man. 

Above all we are comforted to know that he and his beloved Joan are together again. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and kind words. 

My heart just sunk for you and Mrs TM.  Sorry for your loss. :( 

• Heart 1