Knee surgery

smudge

Glad to hear you're on the mend.  I'm through 3 weeks of 10-12 weeks of PT for my left rotator cuff and hope to by cycling by December!

Because contact in sports often occurs on the side of the leg, it pushes the knee inward and the MCL, straddling the inside of the knee, gets stretched and is a common injury. One of the high school fast-pitch softball pitchers I coached, a sophomore who was the expected replacement of our Senior All-County ace pitcher, tore her MCL playing winter, indoor soccer and didn't pitch until the state playoffs.  She was still limping a little and struggled, but I only put her in as a closer when we were a few runs up. I caught some heat from our county's PE Coordinator but was smart enough to have gotten a doctor's opinion that it was ok to play her.  She recovered completely, was excellent in her last two years and won a college scholarship to Duke University.

I hope your recovery goes at least half as well!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

Great! Glad it was a success and that you will be riding this winter. Your post-op hair is more better than anything SQ, RR or I could put together. Heal up so we can drink IPAs vicariously.

I bought a sixer of a New Belgium IPA I've been enjoying. Then I realized I can't have any until I'm feeling well enough to not be on these pain meds. Hmm, may have to cut the pain meds short! ;) 

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

WooHoo. Do your PT like a Navy Seal (take ibuprofen 1 hour before)

I am hoping to do all my healing and PT perfectly so this knee will recover amazingly well! Thanks for the ibuprofen advice!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I hope you are patient in the healing process--- fat bike in the snow is pretty cool.

I'm not patient. But this time, I'm going to be obnoxiously patient! I'm hoping to have the self-discipline to do everything just right.   Mmmmm, biking in snow. Yay!

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Damn it...i better get your prezzie in the mail ASAP...it is for your down time entertainment!!

I'm looking forward to starting the bike puzzle pretty soon. First, though, I have to get over this bout of narcolepsy! Man, not sure if it's the drugs or body needing rest time; but I'm always nodding off right now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 1:22 PM, smudge said:

Surgery was Wednesday. It went pretty well. I usually have a hard time with anesthesia, but this guy got the cocktail just right. I wasn't miserable when trying to wake up!

The surgeon had a hearty piece of cadaver ACL; he reconstructed my ACL with it and used the rest to fix the MCL. I'll be on crutches 3 weeks and off work for about 6 weeks. But the best part is I WILL be riding my fat bike in the snow this winter! Yay!!

Well, you COULD see my knee cap before the surgery; it's gone again under swelling. But the knee is on the mend, and that's what matters.

IMG_20170824_124717031.jpg.77aa85bf39ad3f7f929f62973df3e55d.jpg

I believe the white stuff on the bottom of this pic (the ACL) is supposed to be attached to the little bit of white stuff on the top of the pic. 

IMG_20170824_150931150.jpg.d8b19cb3b7366574471c873f16764eb0.jpg

I must have been a good girl. HoSmudge got me a treat! DQ Dilly bar. Holy cow do I look sleepy in that pic!

2DQpostoptreat.jpg.aae2e83e167844a8159ce40a9ac54baf.jpg

Do what you gotta do to rationalize that Dilly Bar, Smudge.  From my view, that knee fix entitles you to many, many more.

• Heart 1

On 8/25/2017 at 8:22 PM, smudge said:

I'm looking forward to starting the bike puzzle pretty soon. First, though, I have to get over this bout of narcolepsy! Man, not sure if it's the drugs or body needing rest time; but I'm always nodding off right now. 

I nod off a lot, even without surgery. That is why I spent Sunday night in the pu parked at the livestock exchange in Billings. Delivered sheep at midnight and napped until 5:00am.  Fellow at the sale barn even asked if I needed to be waked up at a certain time.  I thought that was a very nice gesture. Hope you feel better soon.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yay!

You should have just walked it off like a marine, though.  Harden up already.  :P

I DID walk about half a mile to get to a spot I thought HoSmudge could drive in and get me. Nope, wrong spot. My knee popped out about 5 times (total) sending me dropping to the ground in excruciating pain every time. I learned to push on the inside of my knee to keep it from doing that, but I got lax and did a couple more times.

I was talking with one of our radiologists about it while he looked at my MRI images. He spent time in the service. He told me walking like that was hard core. Not gonna lie, I was proud to hear that. (blushy)

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, smudge said:

My knee popped out about 5 times (total) sending me dropping to the ground in excruciating pain

<CRINGE> I have an ankle that's not OEM. Every once in a while, I will bend it in a way that it takes issue with. It lets me know in no uncertain terms that it does not like what I did. I make funny faces, hyperventilate and say bad words. Sometimes, if it's a particularly "good one", I take a knee and make funny sounds.

Empathy almost makes me regret posting that picture of the wooden bridge, last week.

Almost.

• Heart 3

13 hours ago, smudge said:

I DID walk about half a mile to get to a spot I thought HoSmudge could drive in and get me. Nope, wrong spot. My knee popped out about 5 times (total) sending me dropping to the ground in excruciating pain every time. I learned to push on the inside of my knee to keep it from doing that, but I got lax and did a couple more times.

I was talking with one of our radiologists about it while he looked at my MRI images. He spent time in the service. He told me walking like that was hard core. Not gonna lie, I was proud to hear that. (blushy)

Do you have updated pictures of your knee and your stoned look?

• Haha 1

...and I have no ide how I crafted one of the best bike unveilings, in forum history.  The progression of pictures was pretty epic, IMHO.  I don't think I can ever re-create one like that.  Yup, most talented artists are probably ripped 1/2 the time.  ;)

Really, I wish that first bike would have been Brutus, because he is my favorite.  His thread did start out with pics of a very special box from Specialized.  When you see those boxes get delivered, a little bit of extra excitement arises.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I opted to not share any pics of my stoned look, when I was taking Oxy for a few days in 2015.  

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

-_-

We got your on the floor drunk look. :)  

• Haha 1

ACL pokes. Steri-strips are finally starting to fall off. I was supposed to leave the tagaderm patches over them for two weeks, so they were removed last Friday. Still some swelling, but it's down substantially.

knee1.thumb.jpg.aa1d15ec1df9e00c86530af64101a318.jpg

MCL scar. When I removed the tagadem patch over this, there was blood on the strips so the patch was stuck a little. Two strips came off. Good to know the incision is looking good on the outside. (Kinda disappointed I won't have a cool scar, just a teeny one.)

MCLscar.thumb.jpg.f2ea92703d78eb222086774e8706ee93.jpg

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Nice pics, how does it feel?  Better every day, or still in the "fuck knees, cut it off" stage?

Oh hell no. I like my body parts and take care of them especially when they are injured. I AM, however, ready to toss these f'in crutches in a car crusher!!!! Shoulders, elbows, hands are OVER them!