I've been playing.

maddmaxx

My work is set for this winter in the secret lab as I just finished ordering my new truck.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here you go wheels.  Not an all out race truck but a combination race truck rock crawler.  It's an Axial brand Yeti Score kit which with full options will have lights, 2 speed transmission and various mod parts like chassis skid plates.  It's a 4 link rear, independent front suspension 4wd sort of scale version of the Score Trophy trucks used for Baja racing.

axic9068_spare_tire_1010.thumb.jpg.c061b80cc396ae1cf08f8604abb479f9.jpg

Wut?  you expected a full size one?

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I still toy with the idea of getting one.  I think there look like a time consuming hobby though, and I'd just be spending money and not enjoying it much.

There are times it takes away from my cycling, but then I like to do many different things.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

That looks fun, more fun in slow mo.  DO you have a place like that to play?

Not that rough.  I have a 150 ft track in the back yard for "dirt oval" flat track racing.  It has never been graded down to serious smooth however and there are some rock bumps and roots starting to come to the surface.  It is presently covered with 1" turf instead of bare dirt to keep the dust down.

:whistle: I'm holding out for Astro Turf.

I have a trail just up the street however that is every bit that rough.  I was a fire road but water has washed it down to a sandy rock and root filled gully.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:46 PM, Square Wheels said:

I think there look like a time consuming hobby though, and I'd just be spending money and not enjoying it much.

That's similar to what I said yesterday - I was running in the cemetery and there was a guy with a DJI Mavic drone, shooting video of a kid on a skateboard. I stopped and watched for a while and asked him some questions....and started to get the bug again....

When I left, I kept telling myself "I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for....I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for....I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for...."

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I kept telling myself "I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for....I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for....I do not need another expensive hobby I don't have time for....

They have drugs for that now.  I'd start with Lithium.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

My son spends too much money on those Axial trucks and parts. I'd show this to him but I is wiser than that. We enjoyed the trip to Axialfest last summer in Cisco Grove CA. 

From my time working the hobby shop, I'd rather see a lot of kids doing something like this instead of playing video games.  We have raised a generation that cannot make anything with their hands.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

From my time working the hobby shop, I'd rather see a lot of kids doing something like this instead of playing video games.  We have raised a generation that cannot make anything with their hands.  

Amen brother. You'd like son o'7 then. He pulled the axles off of his 99 Cherokee and installed replacements. He is working on replacing the Dana 45's on his JK with one-tons and want to put 42" tires on that. He is wishing for money.

As far as the RC vehicles go, he has sponsorships from the local hobby store, Beef Tubes and some others but the sponsorships don't mean much beyond a 10% discount. He does it for fun, he gets outside and isn't into drugs like many his age are. I'm thankful for that.

16 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Amen brother. You'd like son o'7 then. He pulled the axles off of his 99 Cherokee and installed replacements. He is working on replacing the Dana 45's on his JK with one-tons and want to put 42" tires on that. He is wishing for money.

As far as the RC vehicles go, he has sponsorships from the local hobby store, Beef Tubes and some others but the sponsorships don't mean much beyond a 10% discount. He does it for fun, he gets outside and isn't into drugs like many his age are. I'm thankful for that.

I still do it to stay busy.  These days some of my real race cars would stop my heart in a single quarter mile.  I don't think I could take the adrenaline rush.

Picture if you will a man out of time and space, trapped in a small metal compartment, tied in by 6 very tight straps, his knees up about level with his chest.  His vision is limited by goggles and very small windows to the outside world.  Most of his vision out the front is blocked by a large blower and blower hat.  He as at his command a miniature steering wheel and several levers, all of which have to be moved at just the right time and to the right place in a time span measured in seconds.  Pump in an almost unbreathable mixture filtered through a carbon canister face mask which is part of an aluminium suit, worn not for it's coolness or comfort but to keep one alive when something goes wrong and one is engulfed in flame.  That's till your crew starts your engine and lowers the body down around you as a thousand people sneak up behind and begin beating on your capsule with baseball bats while the entire Michigan University Band make it's loudest possible noise 2" from your ear.  Now you are required to roll forward into the bleach box and perform a burnout of the right length to heat the tires, back up quickly as the longer you take, the hotter hell is becoming. stop and roll forward while trying to spot 2 nearly invisible bulbs on the "Christmas Tree" (it's called many other things by drivers).  Now watch for the other guys even more invisible lights to light while you try to breath once or twice and remember your name.

yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow Bang, a loud explosion slams into your back and the world goes completely invisible through the windshield as it vibrates so quickly as to bend the very light coming through it, two, three, four........four damnit move that fn lever five, six, seven are you still alive?  Move the other lever and collapse your chest as parachutes come out the back not so much to slow you down as to help keep the front of the car in front.  Apply the brakes with the hand lever, check to see if you need to deploy your personal "please don't let be burn alive" system and bring the car to a stop.  That's on a good day if all else goes ok.

Now, back in my day there was to hatch to pop out of to wave to the crowd.  i sat and broiled like a lobster in an aluminium pot till the crew got there to lift the body, reach in to undo the straps because the jelly bag of a quivering driver couldn't do it for himself, drag me out of the car, undress me (the suit dummy) and set me in a lawn chair in the back of a pickup truck with a lit cigarette in my hand.

Mind you, this had to be done better than the poor asshole in the other lane or you didn't get paid.

I have no doubt that it would kill me today.

• Heart 1