I'm falling behind

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I think I can get back on track and reach my goal of 500 for the year.

I would recommend you elevate your training level to pulling off some serious crimes instead of that petty nickel-dime stuff you're doing.  Then the cops will see it's worth their while to chase you down and you'll find incentive to keep running.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I ran two miles this morning with walk breaks-- so sad how quickly endurance goes away.  I need to be able to do 100K by April.

I was stupid enough to sign up for a 15 miler in October, so I have to pay my dues between now and then. Since I’m doing the 15, the Syracuse Half in November wouldn’t be a stretch, at all. (Just that the weather is sketchy in November).

Wow, I'd never be able to maintain 171.  I'm trying to run by heart rate now.  Since I got injured back in February, I'm only to to 2 miles 3 or 4 times a week.  I used to run by pace, that wasn't working.  Now I leave the heart rate screen on and ignore pace.  Oddly, I'm just as fast (or slow).  I'm doing my 2 miles in just over 19 minutes when running by heart rate.  I work on keeping it under 160.  I'm rarely successful, but that's what I'm trying for.  It's still keeping me under 10 minute miles.  When I can start doing 3 -5 mile runs again, I hope to get under 9.

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, I'd never be able to maintain 171.

I think that may be a bit FU, (my “comfort zone” when running is in the 150 range and I didn’t really feel like I was working too hard, today). But when I compared the watch HR to a chest strap, it was within two beats.....but that was in an indoor cycling setting. I think with the additional jouncing around, it’s extrapolating a bit. (Still better than my stupid scale, though. That said “180” when I was on it this morning. I said “WTF......” and checked the watch: 60.)

If I really cared, I’d find an app to get more granular with the HR.

I'm only to to 2 miles 3 or 4 times a week.

Two miles, four times a week and our mileage totals for the week would be about the same. ? I’m pushing the envelope because I committed to the 15 mile race in October.  Given my extreme dislike of embarrassment, I WILL be able to do 15 miles before then and plan on running the course at least once between now and then.

I used to run by pace,

Truth be told, IDGAS. I just run at whatever pace is comfortable that day. My internal readout is pretty reliable. The pace chart shows exactly what I felt on the road - the first seven were very comfortable, it was the last two or so where I started to feel like I was working (but still felt like, if I HAD to do more, I could have):

IMG_0619.thumb.JPG.9a9811720e1b67d29f34be09cbe90ba1.JPG

Right now, this isn’t about speed, it’s about distance. I realize I’m pushing my envelope in a rather compacted time frame, so I’m just looking for endurance. If I’m looking to PR a 5K, I’d do more hills, stairs and intervals. I’m focusing on not DNF’ing, not walking and not being crippled when I’m done. 

Are you doing hip exercises too?  This running thing is new to me.  I injured my hamstring and the tendons that connect it to my knee in Feb.  This supposed happened because my hip muscles are weak and my legs were compensating.  I had been running and riding a lot at the time.  Also doing strength training, but never anything focused on hip training for runners.  My 10 mile run (sadly on the treadmill) had been my longest at that time, and the last run I did before the limping started.  Found lots of YouTube videos for hip exercises for runners, plus I have some from my PT now.