The people of SE Texas are very impressive folks

Road Runner

I was impressed at one lady who they interviewed last night.  She was holding a kitten that a cop had given her and she wanted to save it, even though her house appeared to be completely flooded.  She just got off the rescue truck and was saying how everything was destroyed but she'd "seem some old neighbors on the truck, so that was nice".  I was amazed at her positive disposition in the face of such struggle.

And the stories of people going all over with private boats to try to rescue others have been inspiring.

ETA:  NYC is sending 120 police and firemen for almost a month to help in search and recovery.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

After I retired, I wanted to become a volunteer with the Red Cross, but my mother needed me around to help her at that time.  Since she died, my health problems have prevented me from physically volunteering.  I do, however, regularly contribute to the Red Cross and just sent in a contribution today for the Harvey disaster.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Saw on FB from my sister that her daughter's home and business were both flooded. She owns two restaurants in Houston and lives near Houston on a small ranch.  Not sure of status of her horses.... Another niece just moved to Houston but left on vacation right before Harvey hit.  They are talking about flying back to CA until things settle down.  They rent but have no idea the status of their place.

25 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I've been watching a lot of the streaming news reports.  The people of Texas are demonstrating great brotherhood, courage and heroism in the face of an unbelievable disaster.

Too bad it takes a disaster to bring those things out in people.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Sometimes it takes the worst to bring out the best in people.

It certainly seems that way in disaster after disaster.

But I like to believe, too, that the people you hear about doing good things during the disasters are the kind of people who do good things routinely in their lives, much the same as the criminals you hear about doing bad things during the disasters don't wait for disasters to suddenly start breaking the law.

I like to believe we simply don't hear about the good deeds.  I think it's not the worst that brings out the best in people, it's the reporting on the worst that focuses on the best that some people do.  News doesn't ordinarily get ratings from a goodie-two-shoes helping a neighbor or stranger, but news does get ratings from that same goodie-two-shoes helping that same neighbor or that same stranger after a tornado.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I've visited with friends in Austin and Houston, and so far those folks are ok.  One friend and his wife live in Rockport, and none of us have heard from them.  They are 'savvy' folks, so we are assuming, they got the hell out Dodge before the storm. I am sure many of my high school classmates are being affected by the storm.  One of the folks on the LF is ok so far, but I bet he has run out of ice cream sandwiches.