I had a weird thing happen to me the last couple of times I have eaten an apple

Randomguy

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

My mouth and throat swelled up.  Mind you, I only eat Fuji apples, and I have successfully eaten hundreds of apples in my life, all with absolutely no reaction at all.

What could be happening?

Maybe a mild allergy to the wax and /or pesticides. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Oral Allergy Syndrome? 

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/oral-allergy-syndrome-beyond-the-basics

The article states that it can even be variety specific in apples and that Granny Smith causes more OAS than Fuji.

Did you get PRI with your OAS?

We are all saturated with PRI.

I did a test and ate an apple just now, but cut off the peel.  No reaction.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

We are all saturated with PRI.

I did a test and ate an apple just now, but cut off the peel.  No reaction.

KICK ASS!  I diagnosed you using nothing but the internet!  I may start a new practice!  Dr. jsharr!  BTW, you owe me $97.23.

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

In fact, roll some of them in pollen and spritz some of them with some pesticide and roll and spritz some just in case.  We need to figure this out.

Good point.  What's the worst that can happen?  Wait...... SquareDude already mentioned that.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I am thinking of this, too, but also wary of it a bit.

Trust me.  Lifetime allergy and food allergy sufferer here and experienced epipen user.  Get some Benadryl just in case.. wash the fricken apple really well and dry it.  Eat a portion and wait.  If you get the same reaction, take a Benadryl and consider not eating that apple variety any more as reactions increase in severity with exposure.  I am betting that isn't the case as apple allergies are not that common.  Normally, it is the chemicals or shipping waxes associated with them or other pollens etc in handling. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Trust me.  Lifetime allergy and food allergy sufferer here and experienced epipen user.  Get some Benadryl just in case.. wash the fricken apple really well and dry it.  Eat a portion and wait.  If you get the same reaction, take a Benadryl and consider not eating that apple variety any more as reactions increase in severity with exposure.  I am betting that isn't the case as apple allergies are not that common.  Normally, it is the chemicals or shipping waxes associated with them or other pollens etc in handling. 

You aren't any fun.....

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You do know that apples produce wax naturally, right?  So stuff like windblown pollen can stick to them easily in the orchard.  Then again, you are a mighty flying pig and I am a lowly robot, so what do I know.

Oh, yeah, I am not allergic to jack shit! 

3 minutes ago, parodybot said:

You do know that apples produce wax naturally, right?  So stuff like windblown pollen can stick to them easily in the orchard.  Then again, you are a mighty flying pig and I am a lowly robot, so what do I know.

Oh, yeah, I am not allergic to jack shit! 

I do know that and that will make jack shit very happy but they are also coated very heavily to minimize oxidation getting to market.  Aussie apples are my nemesis.