Music Mixing Is Different Now Than Before

ChrisL

I listen to various music mixes on my phone with one ear bud in in my cube.  That way I can rock out but still hear my phone or people talking to me.  Current tunes sound just fine on one ear bud.  But music from the 60's and early 70's seem to be mixed so some tracks come in one side, others the other side.  

So I'm jamming the Stones Can't you hear me knocking and I couldn't hear vocals???   I switched earbuds and now I have vocals but no guitar or drums?  

Weird....

One of my favorites is the original "Sound of Silence" from the Wednesday Morning, 3AM album.  Garfunkel's melody is isolated on one track and Simon's harmony is on the other.

The remixed version from The Sounds Of Silence (the one with the drums that you hear on the radio) isn't done this way.

Back in the olden days, they didn't have stereo so everything came in as mono and all the instruments had the same level in all the speakers.  When stereo came along, producers realized that they could put one instrument on one track and another instrument in another to change the sound or highlight an instrument.  In instrumental part of the the song "Radar Love", the good guitarist plays in one ear and the crappy guitarist plays in the other.  Like anything new, stereo in the 60's, synthesizers and drum machines in the 80's,  auto-tune and the millennial whoop now, they went overboard with it.  Producers still separate the tracks but they try to keep it within a 60% on one side and 40% on the other range.

• Heart 1