Oh joy oh joy, the first day of school

maddmaxx

I expect traffic jams as parents bring the special packages to school.  No sir, no dirty bus for my kids.

I expect cars to fly by buses stopped with flashing lights while picking up students.

I expect students to discover that they need a license, insurance and registration to get a parking permit at the high school.  Womaxx has informed me that so far it's running about 80% against this happening.  The school resource officer just turns and smiles like a shark at the offending kid.  He's a softy though as he then lets them drive home to get their act together.

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I once had a school bus driver laughing out loud when I stopped in the approaching lane on my bike

I once did a track stand at the stop sign at the guard booth, just to be a wiseass. The lady inside laughed and I told her I was going to wear my parking pass on my helmet next time.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I once had a school bus driver laughing out loud when I stopped in the approaching lane on my bike.  Wut?  Aren't we supposed to have the rights and responsibilities of all the other vehicles on the road?

I got stuck behind a school bus dropping off kids on Monday. I was riding through the town of Jackson Center on the state highway. The town is a strip of maybe thirty houses. The bus must have stopped at ten of them. By the time the bus was through town it must have had 15 cars behind it ( and one bicycle ).

My wife works at the school our older son goes to.  She is the first one out the door.  Younger son goes to public school and is out the door at 7:30 to brave the flying cars to get on the school bus of filth.  I leave at 7:45 to take older son and one of his classmates to school, as it is about 3 minutes from my office.  I can see the school from my office window pretty much.

WoKzoo is a bus driver for the local public schools.  They start next Monday but her preseason day long meeting is today.  She will find out what route she has this year (union bidding process today).  Her summer is over along with her good attitude.  If she doesn't have a better route this year than last year I expect our marriage might not make it.  No lawyers involved - she will probably just kill the closest person - me.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

WoKzoo is a bus driver for the local public schools.  They start next Monday but her preseason day long meeting is today.  She will find out what route she has this year (union bidding process today).  Her summer is over along with her good attitude.  If she doesn't have a better route this year than last year I expect our marriage might not make it.  No lawyers involved - she will probably just kill the closest person - me.

You can come to Texas and perish in a weather related death if you want.

My son started back at his JC this week. Daughter has her undergrad but enrolled in a Dental Hygenist program that started last week.  No real change for me other than my son is gone more.

Ever notice the helicopter mom's who drop their precious cargo off at the front steps of the school then drive like a bat out of he'll running lights and cutting off cars to get to work jeopardizing other school kids & motorists?

Womaxx had students back today but she has been going nuts for weeks.  Most of the PO's for the school are still in limbo because the state of CT has no budget and money for education is being held back from the towns as leverage.  At least 5 teachers who retired or left have not been replaced.  School staff is shrinking (including essentials like those who clean up the mess)  

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Womaxx had students back today but she has been going nuts for weeks.  Most of the PO's for the school are still in limbo because the state of CT has no budget and money for education is being held back from the towns as leverage.  At least 5 teachers who retired or left have not been replaced.  School staff is shrinking (including essentials like those who clean up the mess)  

Must be a tough school to have Parole Officers on staff.

I suddenly realised Summer was over yesterday when I passed a school on my ride that had a car park full of teacher's cars. Thankfully  here we still don't have kids driving themselves to school. Lots of stories in the media about kids not qualifying for places on the school bus. Let them cycle I say. 

4 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

I suddenly realised Summer was over yesterday when I passed a school on my ride that had a car park full of teacher's cars. Thankfully  here we still don't have kids driving themselves to school. Lots of stories in the media about kids not qualifying for places on the school bus. Let them cycle I say. 

When I was a youngster, growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, we had to walk to school.  It was uphill both ways, usually in the 100 degree heat and it was snowing.  We did not get shoes until our 16th birthday.  We dreamed off being able to ride a bus.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When I was a youngster, growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, we had to walk to school.  It was uphill both ways, usually in the 100 degree heat and it was snowing.  We did not get shoes until our 16th birthday.  We dreamed off being able to ride a bus.

No shoes till you were 16? Boy you were poor. 

My father would tell us stories of bringing fuel for the school fire (WWI time) and a smouldering piece of turf peat in a tin can under your arm to keep you warm on the walk. He grew up on the family farm unlike me. 

Just now, Caretaker said:

No shoes till you were 16? Boy you were poor. 

My father would tell us stories of bringing fuel for the school fire (WWI time) and a smouldering piece of turf peat in a tin can under your arm to keep you warm on the walk. He grew up on the family farm unlike me. 

Which one is your father?

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My wife used tell me she had to walk about 3 miles to school.  She took a short cut through the woods that knocked about a mile off her walk.  I didn't believe her when she  told me this... Yeah yeah walked 6 miles in the snow in the woods.... sure.  

One time on a visit she was talking to her mom why she didn't take the bus and I started giving her sheot about it.  She had had her mom drop us off at her old house and meet us at her school.  Sunnabitch it was a 3 mile walk about a mile of it on a trail that cut through some woods!  

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Which one is your father?

No we weren't poor and neither was my father. My father was a pharmacist, having gotten an education instead of the farm and my mother a teacher. I was middle-class, my father's people were big farmers by Irish standards, my mother was a townie (from a rural town) who did well in school, qualified as a teacher, travelled in Europe before WWII (including Germany) and counted every penny.

I was very fortunate.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My wife used tell me she had to walk about 3 miles to school.  She took a short cut through the woods that knocked about a mile off her walk.  I didn't believe her when she  told me this... Yeah yeah walked 6 miles in the snow in the woods.... sure.  

One time on a visit she was talking to her mom why she didn't take the bus and I started giving her sheot about it.  She had had her mom drop us off at her old house and meet us at her school.  Sunnabitch it was a 3 mile walk about a mile of it on a trail that cut through some woods!  

So what you're saying is, the couch was comfy that night?

• Heart 2