20 years ago today

BuffJim

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That means I've been in townhouse 20 years.... I remember finally getting everything moved in and set up my stereo (cable guy was coming the next day). Once I got music set up,  all the DJ's were talking about was what a tragedy etc.  I told my wife, oh oh somebody important died and we stopped unpacking and stood in front of the stereo until we heard who it was.

My connection to Princess Diana... In the summer of1985 she and Prince Charles laid a wreath at the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetary.  Being an MP assigned to the Old Guard, I was one of 4 MP's tasked with security at the dismount point.  I had one of the two key positions at the egress side.  Now I didn't know what side of the limo Princes Di would step out of but hopped it was mine.  When the motorcade pulled up, the porter opened the door and I saw a luscious white leg I thought "yess!" (I was a 20 YO kid after all!) She exited the limo and walked within 3' of me!  As she went by I could smell her perfume!  Of course I was standing at attention and couldn't crane my neck but I about dislocated my eyeballs trying to look as long as I could.  

I also felt the crosshairs of the snipers on me as well. As the MPs are the only other people with hot weapons on these details we go through a Secret Service briefing which includes.... "if you make a furtive movement when the dignitary is near we will kill you."....  So as this is happening I'm also thinking, don't sneeze, OMG there she is, don't fucking twitch, OMG she is so hot, don't freaking move, damn she smells good.

That memory will stay with me forever.

Nice memory.

5 hours ago, Caretaker said:

It' ridiculous, she's become this celebrity secular saint martyred on the altar of misogyny.

Interesting view point. She was dearly beloved by many in the UK and America but I can't really explain why so many went ga ga for her.  

Just wondering is your take commonly felt in Ireland or just your feeling on the matter?

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting view point. She was dearly beloved by many in the UK and America but I can't really explain why so many went ga ga for her.  

Just wondering is your take commonly felt in Ireland or just your feeling on the matter?

The type of people who follow celebrities would tend to see her as this tragic 'saintly' figure and because it's the anniversary there's a lot of it in the media at the moment. 

My own closest experience of this 'idolatry' was with some visiting Irish-American relatives of my wife who when I asked what they were doing next on their trip said they were going on to England to visit her grave. Apparently her brother has built a memorial etc. on the family estate that attracts 'devotees' from all over the world.

I think it's not just my feeling, there's those who buy into the whole royal soap opera and those who don't.