Tell me the gosh dang Swedish truth!

Wilbur

No.  I've been to Ikea twice in my life and I hope to never have to go again.

First time I was there I was with about 5 others.  We got separated and with all the walls and sections it took a while to find the others.  They looked lost when we tracked tracked them down and they were way back near the front of the store.  I didn't want to have to wander through to maze again to get to the exit door so I asked one of the floor guys how to get out of the place quickly.  He looked around like the KGB might be watching and quietly said "follow me."  We snuck around so walls and through some doors - the whole time he looked like he was about to be fired.  After a bit he stopped and pointed to a door, "Go through there.  You'll be able to find the parking lot.  Don't leave the door open for more than 30 seconds or an alarm will go off."  And then he was gone.  Strange place, that Ikea is.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

The coffee is ok and you get a free refill which isn't something you get often here.

A free refill is a given here in the Land of the Free.  We tar and feather anyone that doesn't give free refills.

51 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I do not understand your thread, Wilbur

It's like this..  Ikea offers Swedish meatballs in their cafeteria and for sale in the frozen bins.  People love them.  I had one once and it was disgusting.  Wowilbur still likes them once in a while.  I don't even know why they are called Swedish meatballs.. Are they made in Sweden? Are they made of Swedes?  They are pretty pasty white.. 

Just now, Wilbur said:

It's like this..  Ikea offers Swedish meatballs in their cafeteria and for sale in the frozen bins.  People love them.  I had one once and it was disgusting.  Wowilbur still likes them once in a while.  I don't even know why they are called Swedish meatballs.. Are they made in Sweden? Are they made of Swedes?  They are pretty pasty white.. 

Sometimes Senor, the bull, he win the fight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm willing to bet I've been in more Ikea stores and distribution centers than anyone else here.

We have more Ikea stores within a half hour drive here than anywhere else in the world, plus I have made deliveries to many more in the US.

I've had the meatballs in the store, and brought frozen ones home. Not bad, but no better than I can get at the grocery store.

• Like 1

They have always been a very innovative company with interesting products and applications.  They are a long way from their humble roots and they are not high end, but they offer a lot of decent products for the middle class and those just starting out.  The kitchens actually hold up well as does their floor products.  When people are outfitting a dorm room, IKEA is the place to go.  I find some of their small space designs to be pretty fascinating.  

• Like 1

Just now, pedalphile said:

I've never been, mainly because I never wanted to do, and I can say with confidence, I never shall. Simple as that. Take back control of your lives, people ;)

My life includes IKEA in some fashion.  I have very good control and I don't follow the store maze. :)  

• Like 1

Here is my Ikea primer for those that haven't been and might not know what to make of what you hear.  I will strive to be as realistic as possible.

Ikea is a big-ass store, really big-ass.  It is laid out in a linear fashion, but that line is all over the place, like the person that planned that line has a seizure issue, so it becomes a maze that you have to navigate.  You won't really care at first, but then it will piss you off eventually, if not halfway through your first visit.  You will hate this aspect of it next time you come to look for one particular thing.

They have lots of things contained within.  Everything seems to be priced appropriately, and good for the quality level, which is high for what it is.  Everything is named stupidly, so you will think of Sweden.  They could do a better job naming things.

You can outfit a home reasonably, but you have to be careful or your home will look too Ikeaish if you buy furniture.  If you need a table, you buy a table and you will assemble this table.  Things seem to go together ok, and it will be a table when you are done.  You can buy rugs and housewares and pans and frames for art and planters and pillows and beds and countertops and couches.  You can buy other things you might not expect as well.

Your first visit will take two hours or so, as there is lots to look at.  You will be surprised at the vastness of it all.  You will see many things that you need, and you will want to buy other things you didn't know you wanted, because you are there and you might as well upgrade since the pricing is good.  You are energized at this point, but this wears off quickly.  Soon you feel normal-ish.  The last 45 minutes you will spend wishing desperately that you were done and out of there, and you will leave feeling that intense relief that you feel when you finally exit an airport.

You will pick up where you left off the next time you visit, and you will want to be goal oriented and get the hell out as soon as possible.

That said, I feel Ikea has its place for a reason.  You can re-equip in (mostly) one fell swoop in the case of a natural disaster, move, divorce, or setting offspring up in a first apartment.  People watching is good there, too.  You probably ought to check it out if you haven't before.

We have one nearby and we get little stuff there but not furniture. Our current plates, bowls and glasses are from Ikea.  I never ate there but the cafeteria is always packed.  

The other day my neighbor was heading out with his family. Being the nosey neighbor that I am I said hey where you guys off to?!?!!?  IKEA for lunch!!!! Oh well have fun with that....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have one nearby and we get little stuff there but not furniture. Our current plates, bowls and glasses are from Ikea.  I never ate there but the cafeteria is always packed.  

The other day my neighbor was heading out with his family. Being the nosey neighbor that I am I said hey where you guys off to?!?!!?  IKEA for lunch!!!! Oh well have fun with that....

I know people that do that.  Last time my wife and daughter were there, they had lunch and Mike Holmes was at the table next to them.  Apparently he likes the meatballs because he ate two plates of them.