I know this is petty, but still a bit odd

Kirby

The mail guy at work was retiring today.  He has a bit of a developmental disability, but is a sweet guy who is always so positive and cheery each day.  He's been telling everyone for weeks when he does his mail rounds that he's retiring, and most people are caught up in their own work and just sort of smiled or nodded and kept working.  So on my way into work today, I decide to stop and get a card and a  gift card for him because it seemed like he really wanted people to celebrate his big news.   I pass the card around and get a number of people to sign it.  We leave it propped up by the mail box so he'll see it when he does the afternoon mail round.

Except we notice shortly before the mail run that the card is missing.  We knew he hadn't come up yet, so our first thought is whether some took it thinking they'd be money or a gift card in it.  We ask people sitting nearby and they didn't see who took the card.  I'm disappointed, but figure it's gone and there's nothing I can do about it at that point.  One of the guys walks around the floor to see if he can spot anything, but what is there to find?

While we were still standing there, we see a few people coming back from a cake they had in the mail room for the mail guy.  Someone asks them if they saw the card when they walked by earlier, and one of them says "oh yeah, I saw it was for the mail guy, so I picked it up and brought it with me to give him"  Now I'm glad the card and gift got to the right person, and it's not like we were expecting a grand presentation, but it did strike me a bit odd that someone just picked up the card without saying anything. He could have saved us some confusion if he'd just mentioned it when he took it.  :dontknow:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

45 minutes ago, Kirby said:

but it did strike me a bit odd that someone just picked up the card without saying anything

I am not going to suggest that you do not buy another card, do not address it to the person who took the retiree's card, do not fill it full of white powder (i.e. flour), do not seal it, do not write his name on it, and do not leave it out where he cannot pick up.  That way you will not teach him a lesson not to pick up cards without saying anything.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The internet has ears and a poor sense of humor.  

I'm sure I'm already on the watch list, I'm Facebook friends with my brother's granddaughter in law who's name is Isis. I tried to get her to change her name but she said she had it first. I told her it didn't matter, they ruined the name, pick another one.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I'm sure I'm already on the watch list, I'm Facebook friends with my brother's granddaughter in law who's name is Isis. I tried to get her to change her name but she said she had it first. I told her it didn't matter, they ruined the name, pick another one.

The Michael Bolton syndrome in the extreme. :D

Why should she change? They're the ones who suck!  :)

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

I also find it odd, especially that not everyone was invited for cake

The cake was down in the mail room, and I think if you asked about whether or not there was going to be a celebration, you were invited.