TIB

JerrySTL

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I was considering going with SRAM but from what I read, it won't work with the BB86 bottom bracket bearings I have installed.

I like my Red, but until Yaw shifting came out, Shimano beat it in front shifts.  The Yaw front derailleur (which I purchased) helped greatly with that, and SRAM improved their Double-Tap levers further, and their crankset (I didn't purchase those, budget and having heard the derailleur was the biggest deal).  I like their old dual-pivot brakes based on looks alone compared to their new single-pivot ones, though.

You'd probably need SRAM's BB86 BB.  Nothing wrong with Ultegra.  If I ever buy another bike, there's a chance I'd go back to Ultegra with a DA crank, and only DA because you could still get a 180mm crank (largest Red crank available was 177.5, and I don't know if they even make that any more).  I'd also go back to standard gearing instead of compact, even if I put lower gears in the back; I found the ratios involved a lot less front shifts.  I upgraded my small chainring from 34T to 36T and it still only helped some.

slexpress_2014.thumb.jpg.9cfb0df515324d89f1b7dde41855ac0f.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Ultegra 6800 11-speed groupset. The original 105 10-speed triple groupset on my bike has over 35K miles on it and isn't shifting too well lately.

I also had to buy a new real wheel as the one I have on there now can't take the 11-speed cassette.

I might get to do the rebuild next weekend as I'm still waiting for one more part.

Ultrgra 6800 11 speed.jpg

Nice Jerry!  I run that on my Lynskey.  Great, reliable and smooth.  

On 9/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Badger, that's a sharp looking bike!  :nodhead:

And I like the matching basement window treatments, as well.

Custom painted by Dave Sem, Sem Custom Paint out of San Antonio, Texas.  Eight custom shades of blue mixed to do it.

Up close, it has starlights, and planets, and all of those logos are airbrushed, not decals.  And he did it for one heck of a reasonable price, back in 2007.  My friend was a little miffed that mine got more attention than his Merlin Cyrene on RAGBRAI.  Dave has incredible talent, and backed it up with service and a good personality.

Some of the WI boys in the old forum saw mine, and became good customers too.  His website is down; I certainly hope he's okay.

(Merlin Cyrene)

IMG_1293.jpg