Corn harvest has started in the neighborhood.

sheep_herder

39 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

We have started this week too. Using a John Deere self propelled chopper that cuts 6 rows at at time..

Yes, this only harvests 3 rows, but raising corn for silage is done on this place to rest the fields before planting back to alfalfa. Raising hay and livestock are their main endeavors.  Folks usually take alfalfa fields out of production after 5 years.  He put this system together so he would not need to have a custom harvester come in, and it fits well with their operation.  Most irrigated crops are being harvested earlier this year, I assume the hot-dry conditions affected the timing of maturation.

41 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes, this only harvests 3 rows, but raising corn for silage is done on this place to rest the fields before planting back to alfalfa. Raising hay and livestock are their main endeavors.  Folks usually take alfalfa fields out of production after 5 years.  He put this system together so he would not need to have a custom harvester come in, and it fits well with their operation.  Most irrigated crops are being harvested earlier this year, I assume the hot-dry conditions affected the timing of maturation.

We are custom chopping this week about 60 miles from home. We have 5000 tons to chop there this week. Hope to be moving back home on Thursday i the weather cooperates.