DAMN Trains

petitepedal

Well...actually..I blame Canadian Pacific ...There was a truck working on the crossing when I left for work this morning...tonight..the crossing arm bells are ringing like crazy...but no trains...They have been going for about 30 minutes now...I didn't know who to call so I called 911....I hope they shut them off before bed time....I mean they are not as loud as a train and nothing like the horns....but it is a constant...and I am about round the bend from the ringing :runcirclsmiley:

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

Less than a block....I do not have an emergency # for Canadian Pacific......911 will have a number...there are no trains just the damn crossing arm bells....I cannot tell from here if the arm is down or not...that has happened before...

Wouldn't the town cops but a non emergency number work? 

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

Less than a block....I do not have an emergency # for Canadian Pacific......911 will have a number...there are no trains just the damn crossing arm bells....I cannot tell from here if the arm is down or not...that has happened before...

OK.  It's just that 911 is for emergencies.  Like, you are shot, there has been an accident, a child has eaten a poison, someone is bleeding out...  

The police station is who you call for non emergencies.  911 has a limited number of people taking those calls.  Someone would tie up a line, for things like a cat in a tree or train bells going off, or popeyes running out of chicken etc.

16 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Believe me...I have called 911 MANY times.... I seldom call for something that is non emergency. Minneapolis has a 311 number and when I have called them for a non emergency...they have instructed me to call 911.....

It depends on your local jurisdiction and their reporting infrastructure but I tend to agree with DH.  You can often call the Watch Commanders desk for non emergencies but sometimes (like your situation) they will just transfer it to dispatch (911 operators) so tell you to call 911 and cut out the middleman.  

I worked dispatch for a month and would much rather get shot at.... Sorry PP, maybe shove some of those chocolates in your ears!?!?!?

24 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Believe me...I have called 911 MANY times.... I seldom call for something that is non emergency. Minneapolis has a 311 number and when I have called them for a non emergency...they have instructed me to call 911.....

I guess if you were told to.  My friend was a 911 dispatch operator. She used to complain to me about non-911 calls.  Usually, it was barking dogs that she would get so upset about.

I just spent 20 minutes calling a bunch of Canadian Pacific phone numbers....listened to all sorts of press this...e-mail here or call this instructions...finally went to the international web page...cos the Minneapolis and St. Paul numbers were getting me no where....after pressing a bunch of buttons I got a number... and they were aware of the problem via the St. Paul Police Dispatch (probably my call..or one of the houses closer to the tracks) and Union Pacific....someone probably called them...and they called Canadian Pacific....They got the call an hour ago...and the repair person is on the way...in the mean time I am getting a headache.

OK remember this for next time @petitepedal, when the arm comes down the bell rings.  When the arm goes up the bell stops.  Next time you have this problem go over to the tracks and lift the arm up.  Notice it has a counter weight.  It will not be any heavier that a pot of spaghetti.  Lift he arm and the bell stops.  Just remember that if a train comes, let go is the arm. 

I thought @parodybot would have explained this solution to you already.

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

OK remember this for next time @petitepedal, when the arm comes down the bell rings.  When the arm goes up the bell stops.  Next time you have this problem go over to the tracks and lift the arm up.  Notice it has a counter weight.  It will not be any heavier that a pot of spaghetti.  Lift he arm and the bell stops.  Just remember that if a train comes, let go is the arm. 

I thought @parodybot would have explained this solution to you already.

Or better yet, read this. 

http://jwcdaily.com/2014/03/26/what-you-can-do-when-railroad-crossing-gates-malfunction-a-lake-forest-story/

And next time you are by the crossing, stop and take a picture of the sign on the relay cabinet that identifies the crossing and gives you a number to call to report malfunctions.

You might just save a life.

And for the record, it is appropriate to call 911 for a malfunctioning train crossing.  If people think it is broken and drive around or ignore it, they could get hit by a train.  Trains always win in this sort of thing.

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

911 is not the number for problems like this.  

We can hear the train from our house.  We can hear the train from our new property.  It isn't bad.  

How close are you to the train tracks?

911 IS the number to call.  If people ignore the gate, because it is broken, and they drive through, they could get hit by a damn train!  Trust me on this.  Getting hit by a train sucks hard.

4 minutes ago, parodybot said:

And for the record, it is appropriate to call 911 for a malfunctioning train crossing.  If people think it is broken and drive around or ignore it, they could get hit by a train.  Trains always win in this sort of thing.

Until they rip the tracks out and make it a bike trail. I think it's about time for those tracks.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We still have a few train tracks, no gates, no lights, no bells.  There is a sign saying railroad crossing, you are supposed to look before you drive across the tracks. With trees on both sides of the road you have to just about stop at the tracks to look down them. I have never seen a train on these tracks but the rails are not rusty so one must come by once in awhile.