I Think I'm Hanging Up My Cleats

ChrisL

Our team has had the past 2 weeks off due to a bye and holiday and it sure is nice being able to walk pain free.... I've got bone spurs on my right ankle and the hard stops of running the bases (no I ain't gonna slide) really hurts my ankle.  It generally takes 2 -3 days for the pain to subside and then I'm playing again and Im in pain...  

Sign ups for next season are now and I told my niece (team manager) I'm done.  Sucks too as I really enjoy it and have been playing year round for 3 years now but I like being pain free more.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Our team has had the past 2 weeks off due to a bye and holiday and it sure is nice being able to walk pain free.... I've got bone spurs on my right ankle and the hard stops of running the bases (no I ain't gonna slide) really hurts my ankle.  It generally takes 2 -3 days for the pain to subside and then I'm playing again and Im in pain...  

Sign ups for next season are now and I told my niece (team manager) I'm done.  Sucks too as I really enjoy it and have been playing year round for 3 years now but I like being pain free more.

I played a lot when I was in my early 20's.  Typically 3 teams at a time - weekday slow pitch team, weekday fast pitch team, and a weekend slow pitch tournament team.  I use to play upwards of 160 games a year.  Maybe 7 or 8 games on a weekend and maybe 3 games during the week.  When I moved to Michigan, hooking up with a team was just not the same.  I walked away pretty easily

I've been asked to play on tournament teams but I physically can't play that many games, my ankles won't let me....  This is my second team and I really like this one. Everyone is related in some way so it really is a family with typical family drama but we've got each other's backs too.  One a hole dude pushed down our 1st baseman who is female knocking her on her ass.   The entire bench cleared in an instant with everyone ready to beat the guys ass. He apologized and got ejected but having 12 people in his face in an instant sent a clear message.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I've been asked to play on tournament teams but I physically can't play that many games, my ankles won't let me....  This is my second team and I really like this one. Everyone is related in some way so it really is a family with typical family drama but we've got each other's backs too.  One a hole dude pushed down our 1st baseman who is female knocking her on her ass.   The entire bench cleared in an instant with everyone ready to beat the guys ass. He apologized and got ejected but having 12 people in his face in an instant sent a clear message.

Two words..... batboy

21 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Defense only with a DH?

Gotta bat or we take an out.  Slow pitch rules....  I thought about having a pinch runner but I'm not a power hitter and actually get numerous infield hits. I've got wheels, I just suffer for the efforts.  I just know I'll hit a hard grounder at the shortstop and my first thought will be to beat it. 

That's why I'm thinking best to let the young kids play.  I'm the oldest dude on the team and one of the few guys in the league over 50.

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Whew, I thought when I saw the thread title that you were hanging up your bike cleats. :facepalm:

I was talking to my cousins about my ankles and they asked me to prioritize my riding cleats and hang up my softball cleats.  They asked if love softball more than riding as softball injuries could affect my riding.   They had a great point and helped me come to the decision.

I'd rather ride for the next 25 years then play softball.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

I strained both rotator cuffs playing volleyball about 20 years ago on 2 successive serves from a woman with a cannon for a serve who shouldn't have been in C league. Took a year of recovery and therapy. 

My team disbanded while I was out for a number of reasons. Some friends decided to try wallyball...volleyball played on a racquetball court. The fast pace of the game was too much for my shoulders. Had to give it up. Same thing. The pain would finally go away the day of the next game. 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was talking to my cousins about my ankles and they asked me to prioritize my riding cleats and hang up my softball cleats.  They asked if love softball more than riding as softball injuries could affect my riding.   They had a great point and helped me come to the decision.

I'd rather ride for the next 25 years then play softball.

Sorry for the hard decision. I enjoyed playing slow pitch too. 

I'm sure there will be family pick-up games some holidays. :)

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I strained both rotator cuffs playing volleyball about 20 years ago on 2 successive serves from a woman with a cannon for a serve who shouldn't have been in C league. Took a year of recovery and therapy. 

My team disbanded while I was out for a number of reasons. Some friends decided to try wallyball...volleyball played on a racquetball court. The fast pace of the game was too much for my shoulders. Had to give it up. Same thing. The pain would finally go away the day of the next game. 

Ooh! I played volleyball (messed up right shoulder)!! And I played Walter Balter before that!

29 minutes ago, smudge said:

Sorry for the hard decision. I enjoyed playing slow pitch too. 

I'm sure there will be family pick-up games some holidays. :)

Yeah my son plays college baseball and one of the hard realities I had to deal with is I can't play catch with my son. I cherish my life too much... He thinks it's funny when I run out of the way but his throws literally scare me and I've fielded hot smashes pitching and playing 3rd base. Its not like i cant play...

My daughter, her fiance and my niece all play.  So yeah, there will be plenty of opportunities to play if I want to.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah my son plays college baseball and one of the hard realities I had to deal with is I can't play catch with my son. I cherish my life too much... He thinks it's funny when I run out of the way but his throws literally scare me and I've fielded hot smashes pitching and playing 3rd base. Its not like i cant play...

My daughter, her fiance and my niece all play.  So yeah, there will be plenty of opportunities to play if I want to.

Maybe son could learn to have a nice, easy catch with Dad? One of life's great pleasures. He can show his throwing prowess on the field with the other young guys.

Just a thought....

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, smudge said:

Maybe son could learn to have a nice, easy catch with Dad? One of life's great pleasures. He can show his throwing prowess on the field with the other young guys.

Just a thought....

He does but his easy throws scare me too... His ball tails naturally so it's hard to follow.  But then he'll burn one in and instead of trying to catch it I'll step aside (run for my life...)