Eagle Creek Fire

Dirtyhip

It's devastating what is happening out here.  Our beautiful gorge will never be the same. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-columbia-gorge-burns-20170907-story.html

I love this state, but I fear for the future of our forests, animals and watersheds.

The fire was started by teenagers.  They thought it would be funny to toss a smoke bomb into a ravine.  They caught the kid and have identity of him.  The parents will no doubt pay dearly in sorrow and grief.  Maybe they will get sued.  No idea. Regardless, this is a horrible situation.  I would feel differently if it had been started by lightning strikes.  It wouldn't feel so much anger.

32 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's devastating what is happening out here.  Our beautiful gorge will never be the same. 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-columbia-gorge-burns-20170907-story.html

I love this state, but I fear for the future of our forests, animals and watersheds.

The fire was started by teenagers.  They thought it would be funny to toss a smoke bomb into a ravine.  They caught the kid and have identity of him.  The parents will no doubt pay dearly in sorrow and grief.  Maybe they will get sued.  No idea. Regardless, this is a horrible situation.  I would feel differently if it had been started by lightning strikes.  It wouldn't feel so much anger.

According to Squirrel they're just dumb kids like the rest of us.  In other words, the whole fucking state is going up in flames -- and these dumbass 15 year old kids -- who set the place on fire should be treated the same way as you and I when we told the teacher 'No'.  Wheels has issues.

Just now, dotman17 said:

Oh, and he also lives in a crappy part of the country.  Heh.  Just threw that one in there to stir the devil.

I don't want to fight with our peeps here.  I'm somber enough over all the fire activity.

It just helps to talk about this for therapy sakes. 

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't want to fight with our peeps here.  I'm somber enough over all the fire activity.

It just helps to talk about this for therapy sakes. 

Oh, I am not fighting.  I am extremely irritated with these kids though.  I typically find most East coasters to be less sympathetic though... and you and I both know why.

10 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Oh, I am not fighting.  I am extremely irritated with these kids though.  I typically find most East coasters to be less sympathetic though... and you and I both know why.

I didn't see what you are talking about with Wheels.  Do you have a link?

19 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Oh, and he also lives in a crappy part of the country.  Heh.  Just threw that one in there to stir the devil.

I can't remember where he lives.  Doesn't he live in Arkansas? Or was it New Hampshire, Kansas, or some similar bullshit state?  ;)

I have screwed myself several times in this life.  

One time, I passed on Nirvana tickets, cause I'd just see them on their next tour.  

Never explored Mulnomah.  Was planning on going to see the Falls one day, when I had time for touristy crap. 

Sold my GT Avalanche, engagement gift bike to someone who treats it like crap, and I have to see it treated like crap. 

5 hours ago, dotman17 said:

According to Squirrel they're just dumb kids like the rest of us.  In other words, the whole fucking state is going up in flames -- and these dumbass 15 year old kids -- who set the place on fire should be treated the same way as you and I when we told the teacher 'No'.  Wheels has issues.

Put words in my mouth much?

Bad fire year in the West for sure.  Odd the year has become so dry when water was problematic in early spring with near record snow pack, at least in BC.  The planet is a dynamic place and goes through natural temperature cycles which do affect regional climate and weather.  Of course, our human activities accentuate natures as well.  Forests do regenerate and regenerate well within our life times.  You just don't get the old growth as we tend to harvest before it reaches that stage.  Fires are good for the health of forests as counterintuitive as that may seem. This years problems are scale. 

• Heart 1