Thinking about changing things up..

Wilbur

There is a lot of evidence that suggests a long fast is better than caloric reduction for fat loss and the prevention of muscle loss.  I may give this a try.  By long term, I am talking 7 to 10 days. Apparently, calorie reduced diets prevent the body from entering ketosis so muscle mass is lost before fat is consumed.  

I hear the first 3 days are miserable but you lose the sensation of hunger once entering ketosis.  somewhere between 7 and 10 days later, you begin to feel hungry again at which point, you start eating.  Energy remains high and you can exercise when in ketosis. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

To lose another 20 lbs of body fat. 

"They" always say not to do that.  I'm sure Uncle Google can expound!  He is a real know-it-all. :) brb!

I can see the temptation, though, like ripping off a Band-aid.  But if you are eating right, the pounds should fall off anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

From what I've read, it's not risk free.  Heart failure is not uncommon.

Also, I would hope you wouldn't be working during this fast.  I know I would not want to fly on a plane where the pilot has not eaten for  for up to 2 weeks.

I have two, one month periods free of duty this winter with which to play diet in.  In the meantime, I will be researching the idea further. With my Dr as well. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have two, one month periods free of duty this winter with which to play diet in.  In the meantime, I will be researching the idea further. With my Dr as well. 

Are you able to hold to a calorie count?  I can for some days, but then we will go out, have spaghetti, millions of things come up to blow the count.

Snacking always sneaks the heck back in.  Cucumbers taste great, but they just make me hungry for something more substantial. :(

I have had a little luck with using hot peppers to replace fat or high carb foods, but they always seem to sneak back in.

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Are you able to hold to a calorie count?  I can for some days, but then we will go out, have spaghetti, millions of things come up to blow the count.

I have been at 1500 calories per day since April.  Calorie deficits though, also cause loss of muscle mass. 

Just now, Wilbur said:

I have been at 1500 calories per day since April.  Calorie deficits though, also cause loss of muscle mass. 

So how much have you lost?  That is my target too, to supposedly loose aboot a pound a week.  I loose a pound then gain a pound, not much progress.  I need to loose aboot 20 also.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

It's good that you are being sensible about it. 

Personally, I don't think the benefit is worth the risk.  After all, I'm fairly sure that, up to a certain point, fat people live longer than skinny people.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

It's good that you are being sensible about it. 

Personally, I don't think the benefit is worth the risk.  After all, I'm fairly sure that, up to a certain point, fat people live longer than skinny people.

I've noticed several people, some closely related like my father, bulk up a little in their 50s and 60s, but then loose it in their 70s and 80s.

Of course muscle loss probably is a big part of that, but the belly seems to go to.

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

:cheerleader::hapydance:

Then I wouldn't change a thing!  That seems maybe a touch too fast even, aboot 2 pounds per week?

More important to me are the measurements as I am gaining muscle mass although it is slowing as is the fat loss.  Waist is down 5 inches, chest is up 2 inches. I am happy with that but want to lean out a little more. :)  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You seem to hit the gym a lot, but I'll bet chihuahuas are shmoos, like Boston Terrorists, so they can keep you on the couch. :D

:)  Chihuahuas are not distance walkers for sure! :)  As I type, I have one wedged against my hip and another between my legs in the recliner.  It insists on the legs being lifted. :)  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

:)  Chihuahuas are not distance walkers for sure! :)  As I type, I have one wedged against my hip and another between my legs in the recliner.  It insists on the legs being lifted. :)  

Ruby is still young and energetic, but she will peter out on the longest walks, although in cool weather she can be good for 3 miles.  In summer, fuggedaboutit!  She droops and shuts down, lays down in the next shady spot. :D

She is attached to my wife's hip, so she bears the brunt of the shmoo-ism. :)

• Heart 1

I've done lots of fasts.  The first day can be tough.  For me the second day is the hardest.  By day 3 I can't remember why I ever wanted to eat and the energy level is through the roof.  I've never done more that 6 days.  The last time I did 6 days I was 35.  I wouldn't do that at 62.  I do a few 3 day fasts every year.