If you are going to Google, don't play....

Wilbur

When given the Medal of Honor, his citation read..  "For conspicuous leadership above and beyond the call of duty, involving personal valor and intrepidity at an extreme hazard to life. With the apparent certainty of being forced to land in enemy territory or to perish at sea, (insert name)  personally led a squadron of Army bombers, manned by volunteer crews, in a highly destructive raid on the Japanese mainland."

Who was it?

What aircraft type was used?

What AFB did they train from? 

This is a pretty fascinating place and events.  Lots of WWII history and plenty of speed setting history in later years.  The place is very electrifying. Why?

One of the worlds most famous aircraft also flew from the same base.  What aircraft type, aircraft pet name and event did it conduct?

Without google.

Doolittle, B-25B Mitchell and the best I can do is somewhere in Florida perhaps Eglin or whatever it was called back then.

The bombers were modified with a lot of stuff removed including the lower gun turret to make them lighter.  It was a no return flight terminating if lucky somewhere on the mainland in China.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Without google.

Doolittle, B-25B Mitchell and the best I can do is somewhere in Florida perhaps Eglin or whatever it was called back then.

The bombers were modified with a lot of stuff removed including the lower gun turret to make them lighter.  It was a no return flight terminating if lucky somewhere on the mainland in China.

Excellent.  Dolittle, B25 Mitchell is correct.  Missing answers:

Air Force Base?

The place is very electrifying. Why?

One of the worlds most famous aircraft also flew from the same base.  What aircraft type, aircraft pet name and event did it conduct?

Jimmy Dolittle pioneered this type of flight.  Aviation today is predicated on it.. What type of flight is it?  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Air Force Base?

Jimmy Dolittle pioneered this type of flight.  Aviation today is predicated on it.. What type of flight is it?  

Are you speaking of the heady days of air racing?  The National Air Races, the Bendix trophy and Thompson trophy races with Doolittle flying the GB. in the Nationals?

The GB was built by the Granville Bros in nearby Springfield MA and a replica resides (sport version) today at the New England Air Museum adjacent to Bradley Field in CT.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Air Force Base?

Wendover Airforce Base, Utah.  Just North of Wendover is a tiny airstrip that was used by Doolittle to practice carrier takeoff techniques.

A hangar at Wendover was used to create Electrical discharge equivalent to lightning using Tesla Coils. 

Enola Gay, Also used the salt flats for practice bomb runs. B29 Super-Fortress. Hiroshima.

Doolittle pioneered Instrument flight.  It transformed the industry. 

Guys like Doolittle and the men and women who aided them are what made America great again. :) 

doolittle0512784.jpg

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Are you speaking of the heady days of air racing?  The National Air Races, the Bendix trophy and Thompson trophy races with Doolittle flying the GB. in the Nationals?

The GB was built by the Granville Bros in nearby Springfield MA and a replica resides (sport version) today at the New England Air Museum adjacent to Bradley Field in CT.

Interesting Maxx, but no.  Correct answer was the Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover , UT

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not a single "like" for teaching Americans, American history?

Ingrates! 

We were stunned and bedazzled. :D  Shock and awe, as it were. :)

Here I'll give it more than a smilie face.  That was a fine example of forumming as it was meant to be - ala Cliff Clavin. :D

Which is appropriate since our Fearless Leader is Cliffy. :)

A more charitable characterization might be Dilbert's mother. :)

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Wait - you mean jsharrt is among our best edjumacated?  Maxx I can understand. :D

Poor jsharrt - the Rodney Dangerfield of the forum. :)

I know.. and even @Thaddeus Kosciuszko didn't answer the electricity question.  I am so disappointed.  Back to Irma TV on CNN.. 

Oops, you are correct.  jsharr did gracefully accept defeat.  He also got the correct person within seconds. 

Sorry, I had to use google to get this link as my books in my library indicated that Doolittle's force spent quite a bit of time practicing takeoff techniques with naval aviators from Pensacola as instructors.

http://www.eglin.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/393474/eglin-commemorates-65th-anniversary-of-doolittle-raid-with-historical-marker/

There were other places I suspect as this was the mission crew training site, not the experimental "can a B-25 do it at all" site.

58 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sorry, I had to use google to get this link as my books in my library indicated that Doolittle's force spent quite a bit of time practicing takeoff techniques with naval aviators from Pensacola as instructors.

http://www.eglin.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/393474/eglin-commemorates-65th-anniversary-of-doolittle-raid-with-historical-marker/

There were other places I suspect as this was the mission crew training site, not the experimental "can a B-25 do it at all" site.

Yes, Wendover was that other place.