A case for living close to services

Dirtyhip

4 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I don’t have a doc, so that’s a moot point but anything I need bike-wise, I can get online or stop at the shop on my way home from work.

I was listening to Barred Owls this morning. Never did that living in town.

OK, that is a good point. Although, we have a lot of really fantastic birding right near our downtown. There are owls that live in trees where I work.  

I think the secret is to be in a rural area as well, so metro is more manageable.  Downtown is really small and low traffic.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

OK, that is a good point. Although, we have a lot of really fantastic birding right near our downtown. There are owls that live in trees where I work.  

I think the secret is to be in a rural area as well, so metro is more manageable.  Downtown is really small and low traffic.

I work in a city, so I have access to (most of) whatever I need there, if I want to stop on the way home (seeing as how I’m there already, anyway). The village itself doesn’t have shit for stores anymore, anyway, so about the only advantage to living in town would be natural gas and sewers. I’ll stick with filling the propane tank for my stove three or four times a year. (There is trash pickup here, but it’s sixty bucks a month. I take my own for six bucks a month).

Grocery store is 4 miles away, which is a bit of a PITA, given how piss poor my planning skills are.

....and yet, if I had my way, I’d move up north, where my camp is and be even MORE remote.

Because people suck.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I work in a city, so I have access to (most of) whatever I need there, if I want to stop on the way home (seeing as how I’m there already, anyway). The village itself doesn’t have shit for stores anymore, anyway, so about the only advantage to living in town would be natural gas and sewers. I’ll stick with filling the propane tank for my stove three or four times a year. (There is trash pickup here, but it’s sixty bucks a month. I take my own for six bucks a month).

Grocery store is 4 miles away, which is a bit of a PITA, given how piss poor my planning skills are.

....and yet, if I had my way, I’d move up north, where my camp is and be even MORE remote.

Because people suck.

hehe, I like people, mostly.  ;)

Our grocery is 2.5 miles. 

They deliver your propane.  How many gallons do you have in the tank?  Is it more expensive than natural gas?  Have you ran out before?

Our trash is about 17 a month, for a little can with recycling pick up.  I compost and recycle mostly, anyway. 

What's the population there?

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I lived in three different places in 18 years that ranged from 1000-2500 people.  I like the small town for some things.  At this stage, I am enjoying a few more amenities, but even our city of 80,000 now doesn't feel too big

It's Naniamo.  Towns don't get much nicer than there. :)  

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

They deliver your propane.  How many gallons do you have in the tank?  Is it more expensive than natural gas?  Have you ran out before?

I can get delivery, but since it’s only the stove - furnace is oil, water heater electric - I have a 40lb tank. Not sure what they get per gallon. I have run out once or twice, but usually I take the tank over and get it topped off when I fill the ones for the gas grill - I’m going anyway. In a panic, I could just slap one of the gas grill tanks on, but the times I have run out it’s been “....aw shit....” and a half hour trip to get it filled and I’m back in business.

Our trash is about 17 a month, for a little can with recycling pick up.  I compost and recycle mostly, anyway. 

Recyclables are free and I compost, so I only take one or two cans, every four to six weeks. A five hole punch card is $14.

What's the population there?

Wikipedia says village population was 4,080, in 2010.

I live in what might be a moderate town of about 17,000.  It's a bit bigger than the surrounding towns but not yet urban or one of the much larger regional towns.  We have more than one grocery store.  Both are about 3.5 miles away.  There is a nearby highway that can take one 20/30 miles to work.  It was a small farm town when I was young but the highway access has brought an influx of yuppies looking for country living a bit further out than suburbia.

As a hub town it has the grocery stores that service surrounding smaller towns along with a couple of auto dealerships, several restaurants and a hardware store.  Most everything else is 30 minutes drive away in the larger towns or small cities.  It's nice that everything is within 30/45 minutes drive but then it's also 30/45 minutes drive to get to most places.

Everything I need is within 10 minutes of me.  In fact, most things I need is within 5 minutes.  My doctor is the exception. He is a solid 12 minutes away. I live in a 200K person town attached to another similar in size which is attached to another almost a million and another over 3 million.  Yet, I cross a highway 3 blocks form home and I am in the country. 

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Had to go to the doc.  I walked to my GP's office.  It took me about 15 minutes to get there.  

Then, I walked to the bike shop, and then I walked back home.

Living metro was the best decision we ever made.

Are you giving up on moving?

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Are you giving up on moving?

No. I am thinking this is a comfortable way to live. We can ride our bikes to everything we need in Oaktown.

Although, a normal hospital is 40 minutes away.  If something major happens, people might be in more danger with that.  I am willing to risk that part.  There is a clinic and mini care center. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

No. I am thinking this is a comfortable way to live. We can ride our bikes to everything we need in Oaktown.

Although, a normal hospital is 40 minutes away.  If something major happens, people might be in more danger with that.  I am willing to risk that part.  There is a clinic and mini care center. 

Except when you crash and your femur has broken through your skin.  I gotta think 40+ miles is going to be hell.