I'm sort of freaking out.

airinpie

41 minutes ago, airinpie said:

52 miles two weeks ago

You'll be fine.  Ideally you would have had longer rides in before now, but 52 is nothing to sneeze at.

You'll be doing 60+ this weekend.  That's great.

For me the long rides have several worries.  Boredom.  I almost always ride alone.  100+ solo can be tough.  I do not listen to music when I ride.  Next is food / hydration.  You'll live without food, you won't without proper hydration.  Make sure you drink regularly, regardless of the temp outside.  I try to plan at least 1 bottle per hour.  If it takes you 6 hours, six bottles, 9 hours, 9 bottles...  Don't get caught up on the stops and the food they serve, you really don't need it and filling up you belly then riding hard aren't always a good combination.  The last big concern for me is just sitting that long.  Make sure you regularly get out of the saddle, even if it's not the way you normally ride.

Have fun!

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You'll be fine.  Ideally you would have had longer rides in before now, but 52 is nothing to sneeze at.

You'll be doing 60+ this weekend.  That's great.

For me the long rides have several worries.  Boredom.  I almost always ride alone.  100+ solo can be tough.  I do not listen to music when I ride.  Next is food / hydration.  You'll live without food, you won't without proper hydration.  Make sure you drink regularly, regardless of the temp outside.  I try to plan at least 1 bottle per hour.  If it takes you 6 hours, six bottles, 9 hours, 9 bottles...  Don't get caught up on the stops and the food they serve, you really don't need it and filling up you belly then riding hard aren't always a good combination.  The last big concern for me is just sitting that long.  Make sure you regularly get out of the saddle, even if it's not the way you normally ride.

Have fun!

Other factors: 

I ride in TN where a 50+ miler in any direction from my house is as LEAST 3500 ft of climbing. I'm doing the Seagull Century in Maryland, and it's supposed to be flat as can be.... which feels like it will be somewhat easier. 

Also, if I chicken out before then, I can drop to the metric and forget the Century. I just really wanted to see the ocean and the horses. 

And apparently like 8,000 people do the ride, so I shouldn't be too alone. 

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, airinpie said:

Other factors: 

I ride in TN where a 50+ miler in any direction from my house is as LEAST 3500 ft of climbing. I'm doing the Seagull Century in Maryland, and it's supposed to be flat as can be.... which feels like it will be somewhat easier. 

Also, if I chicken out before then, I can drop to the metric and forget the Century. I just really wanted to see the ocean and the horses. 

It's hilly up here too.  Don't let that stop you.

DO NOT chicken out, you'll regret it.  Since it's an organized century (I'm assuming it is), they will scoop you off the side of the road and bring you back.

• Heart 2

30 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It's hilly up here too.  Don't let that stop you.

DO NOT chicken out, you'll regret it.  Since it's an organized century (I'm assuming it is), they will scoop you off the side of the road and bring you back.

The biggest hill is the bridge to get to Assateague Island. It's really flat. And yes, organized. So if I really just can't make it, I can SAG.

2 minutes ago, airinpie said:

The biggest hill is the bridge to get to Assateague Island. It's really flat. And yes, organized. So if I really just can't make it, I can SAG.

You can always get a ride back, but don't think like that.  Assume it will be hard, and assume you will make it!

A flat century would be fun.  Mine have all been hilly.

You got this!  

One caveat is it's often windy near the coast. I live on the left coast and its a good onshore wind picks up every day.  Maybe Mick can chime in but riding in a headwind is like climbing a long gradual grade.  That it's flat helps but don't underestimate the wind.

• Heart 1

You'll be fine. A few years ago, the BRAN (Bike Ride Across Nebraska) chose a flat route even by Nebraska Standards. There was a crosswind or headwind every day. The riders from Omaha and other more hilly parts of the state struggled because they weren't used to pedaling ALL THE TIME! There was no coasting down hills. Wind is wind. Hills are hills. Similar but unique efforts. 

Don't let it psych you out. Enjoy the ride, enjoy the people and the scenery! Take a break. Stay hydrated and nourished. I will get a light snack from the SAG about every hour. Just enough so I don't bonk. 

Your first century is all about just finishing. Once you do, it will help you with knowing what to do better the next time. 

• Heart 3

24 minutes ago, groupw said:

Don't let it psych you out. Enjoy the ride, enjoy the people and the scenery! Take a break. Stay hydrated and nourished. I will get a light snack from the SAG about every hour. Just enough so I don't bonk. 

This.

This is why I didn't understand how SW says he gets bored. Such a fantastic way to spend a day. 

• Heart 3