Damn wood bridges

Parsnip Totin Jack

The Mount Vernon trail runs along the Potomac River from Key Bridge to Mount Vernon, George Washington's place. A section near Teddy Roosevelt Island crosses a marshy area and the trail has a long section of wood bridge over this. Yesterday it was wet. A friend was riding that trail slowly (10 mph) because he knew it is slippery. Touched the rear brake, the wheel slid out from under him and he fractured his hip. He's not an old guy either, mid to late 30's. Be careful out there people!

Holy hell!  I think I had a hairline fracture in my hip about 10-12 years ago exiting a car on ice.  Feet went out from under me and all weight landing on my left hip.  Loud crack as I hit the ice that didn't sound like a sound that ice or sidewalk make.  Ouchie.

I had no insurance, and as nothing seemed displaced, I just toughed it out.  Hip hurt for three months, and occasionally still does in the cold and damp.

Damn sucks to hear. Back in the mid 80s when I was stationed out there I would ride that trail from Ft. Belvoir to Alexandria often. Well I would start at Belvoir and catch it at Mount Vernon.  Beautiful trail and I remember those wooden sections as well.

Beutiful scenery on that tail tho.  

• Heart 1