This thread is only for ChrisL

Parr8hed

Awesome! Nice placement away on a 2-2 pitch for the swing & miss! With that velocity now as she grows she will be formidable.

I'm not as familiar with softball as I am with baseball but do they work on any off speed pitches yet?  My son was primarily a fast ball pitcher until his Sophomore year when he developed a nasty curve and his senior year a splitter.  At 12-14 his fastball was enough to get outs (assuming he could locate it!)

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Awesome! Nice placement away on a 2-2 pitch for the swing & miss! With that velocity now as she grows she will be formidable.

I'm not as familiar with softball as I am with baseball but do they work on any off speed pitches yet?  My son was primarily a fast ball pitcher until his Sophomore year when he developed a nasty curve and his senior year a splitter.  At 12-14 his fastball was enough to get outs (assuming he could locate it!)

Yes, she has been working a backhand changeup since she started.  Release point is so janky with them.  Her changeup is really all over the place.  Once it's perfect, the next pitch it's over the backstop.  Next one bounces off the plate.  That will come.  Once they hit mid 40's (speed) they start working a drop ball.  Emmy can accurately throw the drop, but only gets so much movement in the zone.  So it effectively becomes an off speed strike up in the zone.  Used right that is not so bad.  I have her working on locating her fastball on pitcher's pitches more than going to the change up until it's more reliable.    Curve balls and rise balls will come once the drop ball is reliable.  

She also has a screwball that is fairly accurate.  But it is used mainly to teach her better hand position on her fastball.  When her hand starts to come off the side and her fastball starts to get a "slider" spin on it then we hit the screwball a little to try and straighten out the fastball.   

• Heart 1

Very cool! Yeah i thought they may be sorking dicferent pitches earier as softball pitching isn't as hard on the body.  Over time shell probably gravitate to a couple of pitches and excell at them.  Others not so much....

My son knew how to throw a curve at 11 but it was rarely used in games until later.  My son learned several pitches earlier but it's now 2 seam that runs in, 4 seam for max velocity, curve which is more of a slurve and splitter.  Never could throw a change up so his splitter is his primary off speed pitch.  

• Heart 1