Do you like chili dogs?

Randomguy

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

And I have no reason why not.  Just never had one.  Eaten a truckload of hotdogs, just never with chili (with or without beans) on it before.  I may have to find a good one and go for it

Just buy a can of Wolf Brand Chili, get some yellow mustard, sweet relish, cheddar cheese and a nice onion and make your own.  Has to have potato chips on the side.

Things I learned today:  Chili dogs with cheese are vastly superior to those without.  I instinctively knew this, but thought that since Old#7 had one previously without that I would do a test.  Cheese is the answer here, now proven by science.

The onion rings were pedestrian, sadly, although fried well.  I want more of a breading/coating, not the wampy batter ones.  I don't think I would get them again at the Vienna Inn, but they weren't bad by any means.

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

Yes, the chili dog without cheese came with a couple of bites missing.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

That is screwed up.  You grill the dang dogs tl they split, crisp the buns on the grill, add the rellish and mustard, spoon on some chili, then top with just a bit of cheddar.  No putting in pan and baking, you girlie man.

You and I could eat chili dogs together.  I'd need a little onion on there too.

Great. Just had lunch, but now I want chili dogs. Yes, plural.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, smudge said:

You and I could eat chili dogs together.  I'd need a little onion on there too.

Great. Just had lunch, but now I want chili dogs. Yes, plural.

Sometimes I want onions, sometimes I don't.  Dadofjsharr DEMANDS diced yellow onion.  I can go red, yellow or sweet vidalia.  If you come to casadejsharr, I will make sure to have onions.

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Lightly battered onion rings are best. Sorry RG, those chili dogs don't look all that yummy.

You heathen!  

They are bar dogs, and cost 2.49 with cheese, and they are pretty tasty.  They caused a craving in me, you see, so there is that.

The cheese makes them come together.

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Just buy a can of Wolf Brand Chili, get some yellow mustard, sweet relish, cheddar cheese and a nice onion and make your own.  Has to have potato chips on the side.

FIFY - You were so close.  Actually I have had them with sweet relish - I think it takes away from the taste of the chili.  I love Cheddar cheese but again the chili is king.  As for onions, I feel that anything you put a raw onion on gets overpowered by the onion so, I don't dislike the flavor, I just don't eat anything with onions on it 'cause I'd rather taste everything else. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

FIFY - You were so close.  Actually I have had them with sweet relish - I think it takes away from the taste of the chili.  I love Cheddar cheese but again the chili is king.  As for onions, I feel that anything you put a raw onion on gets overpowered by the onion so, I don't dislike the flavor, I just don't eat anything with onions on it 'cause I'd rather taste everything else. 

No cheese?  Wrong, although the onion thing is spot on.  

Relish is disgusting. truly vile like the people that eat it.  Darkness of the soul and all that.  They are of the ilk that puts catsup on hot dogs.

• Whatever 1

Well this thread made me hungry so I decided to make chili dogs.  Oops.  No dogs, no chili.  In the spirit of trying things so you don't have to I grilled hot Italian sausages and served them with queso and onions (white).  They were ok but it's probably not worth the effort as the sausage spices overpowered the queso.

Just a bit outside.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Well this thread made me hungry so I decided to make chili dogs.  Oops.  No dogs, no chili.  In the spirit of trying things so you don't have to I grilled hot Italian sausages and served them with queso and onions (white).  They were ok but it's probably not worth the effort as the sausage spices overpowered the queso.

Just a bit outside.

At least you gave it a shot.  I had been eating cheddar brats a bunch the last few months, but never made cheddar-chili brats, and now I want to. 

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

At least you gave it a shot.  I had been eating cheddar brats a bunch the last few months, but never made cheddar-chili brats, and now I want to. 

Use pickled jalapenos with those.  Good stuff.  The pickled ones are a bit milder and provide a flavor without adding too much heat to recognize all the other flavors.

• Heart 2