North Idaho

Dirtyhip

Not sure this where you are going:

IDAHO FALLS — A winter storm warning has been issued for much of southern Montana this weekend.

The National Weather Service reports some 8 to 14 inches of snow is possible above 7,000 feet. Officials say travel in high country could be difficult and tree and power line damage is possible.

Lighter snow or rain and high winds are predicted at slightly lower elevations of 6,500 feet, according to the NWS. Snowfall rates will peak Friday and will gradually end Saturday.

260 EARTHQUAKES HAVE STRUCK EASTERN IDAHO SINCE SEPT. 2. IS THE BIG ONE COMING?

No winter warnings or advisories have been issued in Idaho, but rain or snow is forecast in parts of the following counties: Fremont, Clark, Teton, Butte, Custer and Caribou. At night temperatures in these areas could drop into the 20s or 30s.

Lower elevation areas — including Idaho Falls, Rexburg and Pocatello — should not see any snow, but may see rain or frost.

In western Wyoming a winter weather advisory is in effect. Rain is expected to turn to snow above 10,000 feet after midnight Thursday, with the snow levels lowering to 7,000 feet by late Friday. The snowfall will be heavy at times through Friday night. Between 5 to 8 inches is expected, according to NWS.

Fished the Madison River and spent a little time up there.  Now from the perspective of a brown dude who has travelled all through the South, I have never felt the angry hard stares and experienced overt racism as i did when in Idaho.  My brother had similar experiences.

Just a bad scene for non white folks in those parts and I won't go back.

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Fished the Madison River and spent a little time up there.  Now from the perspective of a brown dude who has travelled all through the South, I have never felt the angry hard stares and experienced overt racism as i did when in Idaho.  My brother had similar experiences.

that sucks. 

yeah, it's here. it's in our area too, only more covert. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My wife has the same impression. Not that we are planning to move to Idaho, but she feels she would be unwelcome there. It only takes one or two comments or incidents to really spoil a place.

I thought Montana and Idaho were among the most beautifulest places in the country.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My wife has the same impression. Not that we are planning to move to Idaho, but she feels she would be unwelcome there. It only takes one or two comments or incidents to really spoil a place.

I thought Montana and Idaho were among the most beautifulest places in the country.

My brother lived in Eastern WA for many years and travelled to Idaho often.  He said it was a regular occurance for him.  I was only up there the one trip for 2 days and had issues both days.  I was actually refused service in a restaurant, they didn't kick me out but just ignored my order and didn't serve me.  We all left without paying. The next day we went to a fly shop and the proprietors refused to acknowledge me.  I needed some supplies and spoke to them, they looked right through me like I wasnt there.  They were happy to assist my white cousins though...  It was the only shop around so they purchased what I needed but damn it was uncomfortable.  

Just walking through the streets was odd.....

• Sad 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

My brother lived in Eastern WA for many years and travelled to Idaho often.  He said it was a regular occurance for him.  I was only up there the one trip for 2 days and had issues both days.  I was actually refused service in a restaurant, they didn't kick me out but just ignored my order and didn't serve me.  We all left without paying (We never touched the food either, we just left once we realized they weren't going to serve me). The next day we went to a fly shop and the proprietors refused to acknowledge me.  I needed some supplies and spoke to them, they looked right through me like I wasnt there.  They were happy to assist my white cousins though...  It was the only shop around so they purchased what I needed but damn it was uncomfortable.  

32 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I had heard that Idaho and particularly that area is aryan nation central, at least as far as the United States goes.  It sounds like the description was accurate.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My brother lived in Eastern WA for many years and travelled to Idaho often.  He said it was a regular occurance for him.  I was only up there the one trip for 2 days and had issues both days.  I was actually refused service in a restaurant, they didn't kick me out but just ignored my order and didn't serve me.  We all left without paying. The next day we went to a fly shop and the proprietors refused to acknowledge me.  I needed some supplies and spoke to them, they looked right through me like I wasnt there.  They were happy to assist my white cousins though...  It was the only shop around so they purchased what I needed but damn it was uncomfortable.  

whoa. 

I don't like hearing you were treated that way. people can be so rude.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I know North Idaho as well as anybody on this forum.  If not, pretty close.

The Aryan nation used to be headquartered in Hayden Lake -- north of CDA but south of Lake Pend Oreille (pon-dor-ay)

wow. had no idea. I heard some scuttle about racists in ID just no specifics.

now, we are turning up towards glacier.

If you are going to Glacier Park -- I am not kidding DH.  You and your hubby go out to Many Glacier on the EAST side of the park.  It's a bit more of a drive but TOTALLY worth it.  In fact, that's moved up to #1 or #2 places to go vacation sometime and most people miss it because you have to leave the Going-to-the-Sun Road and drive through the park as you head west to east before turning north.

• Awesome 1

48 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Northern Idaho and Western Montana -- yeah I agree with you.  Treasure Valley in southern Idaho and central/eastern Montana -- meh.  Sorry Sheep!

12 hours ago, dotman17 said:

If you are going to Glacier Park -- I am not kidding DH.  You and your hubby go out to Many Glacier on the EAST side of the park.  It's a bit more of a drive but TOTALLY worth it.  In fact, that's moved up to #1 or #2 places to go vacation sometime and most people miss it because you have to leave the Going-to-the-Sun Road and drive through the park as you head west to east before turning north.

That area was my favorite part of the park, and where I saw the most wildlife.

• Heart 1