Your towel is disgusting

Randomguy

Here's How Often You Should Wash Your Bath Towel

740full-jennifer-love-hewitt.jpg

It's not as clean and fresh as you think it is.

BI-logo-50x50.gif
JULIA CALDERONE, BUSINESS INSIDER
2 JAN 2017

I hate to break it to you, but your bath towel is dirty – really dirty. The moment you use it, it becomes a breeding ground of bacteria; fungi; dead skin cells; salivary, anal and urinary secretions; and many other germs lingering in your bathroom that may have hopped onto your towel – including droplets from your toilet.

While most of these microbes aren't likely to harm you, given that most of them probably came from your own body, they're there, and they're multiplying quickly.

So how many times can you use your towel before before concentrations of your own flora get so out of hand that you need to wash it? "If you can dry it completely, no more than three times max," Philip Tierno, a microbiologist and pathologist at the New York University School of Medicine, told Tech Insider.

And this is assuming that you're hanging it somewhere dry so that it can completely air out. "A damp towel is growing," Tierno said. "If there is odour coming from the towel, wherever there is odour, there are microbes growing so it should be washed."

Towels serve as ideal breading grounds for germs because they contain many of the requirements for microbial life: water, warm temperatures, oxygen, food, and a neutral pH. The human body supplies these ideal living conditions, which is why our entire body is covered in them inside and out.

When you wick moisture from your body, the microbes and other secretions such as cellular debris that live on the surface of your body get deposited onto your towel. Your cellular debris and other deposits from the air serve as food for the microbes, and the moisture supplies water at a neutral pH.

• Heart 1

Excellent post, RG!  Here, here.   

A mini-clothesline should be installed outside from your bathroom casement window. Small clothesline carousel just large enough for 2 towels and 2 washcloths. The carousel should be under a beautiful metal awning. 

Towels and washcloths can be used as much as you want during the day but certainly changed daily.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Excellent post, RG!  Here, here.   

A mini-clothesline should be installed outside from your bathroom casement window. Small clothesline carousel just large enough for 2 towels and 2 washcloths. The carousel should be under a beautiful metal awning. 

Towels and washcloths can be used as much as you want during the day but certainly changed daily.  

I changed the original photo from the website to ensnare RR.  It hasn't worked yet. :(

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Serious for a moment.

I am very jealous of the new bond between  @Randomguy   and  @Old#7

I mean how cool is what #7 did?   You don't get many chances at friendship like that at our age and these 2 may have pulled it off.   :nodhead:

Kudos!  

Yes, it is very cool. :) You could be next, Cheese!  We would love to see pics of you and RG painting Greenville red!

• Heart 1

The guy that had the locker next to me where I worked always hung his towel on a hook on the outside of his locker to dry. His locker was on the end of the row and many times I would come into work and find someone had smocked his towel off the hook and it was on the floor. The locker room floor in a forge shop in never very clean. I always hung it back up for him. One time I was working overtime and told him about it (he worked a different shift). He said he wondered why his towel always felt gritty.:default_sissy-fight-smiley:

• Haha 1