Dogs are funny

Randomguy

It's been unseasonably cool in SoCal and with the windows open it's been down right chilly in our bedroom.  Our dog normally wakes us up by 5 am to eat & pee. This morning my wife got up at 5:45 and Jack was curled up under his blankets in his bed. After breakfast & a pee he crawled in bed with me and snuggled up under the blanket which he never does.

Pretty smart pup that Jack.

When I was a teenager I had a trained-to-hunt beagle named Scout.  He was a long-legged beagle and was brown and white with no black patches, like this:

59c08dbe5daa4_brownlongleggedbeagle.jpeg.64b2101f16cd365677921e6a2952e0b9.jpeg

He was usually a happy dog. Like this:

happy2.jpeg.e78b78f74d1729ef34126b84e7acc406.jpeg

One day, Scout and I went into a stretch of woods that had a few rabbits.  Soon Scout yelped out that sounds-like-its-hurt beagle bark that means it's on a scent.

A rabbit up ahead jumped out of it's hiding place and - apparently being a smart bunny - hopped like mad toward a dense, swampy area it figured we couldn't penetrate.

As I got to the swamp area, I could hear Scout somewhere deep in the muck yelping that hunting yelp.  I thought it was hopeless, so I called Scout to come out of the swamp.

He didn't listen. Or maybe he was too busy to pay attention to me. His barks got fainter and fainter as he pursued his prey - or else was being silly.

So I gave up. I had a backpack with a sandwich and a Coke and found a big rock on a small rise overlooking the swamp on which to dine.

As I was half-way through the sandwich, suddenly Scout's yelps got louder and louder until there, in the meadow below the rock, a wet and muddy Scout chased the rabbit to within 50 feet of me - and my rifle was resting on the rock!

Scout slowed down and looked up at me with a "You SOB!" stare. Kind of like this:

mad.jpeg.feb9b67fcec5b862fc7ac5e94c326ec8.jpeg

He then gave up on the rabbit and walked toward me.

Feeling guilty, I gave him the last half of my sandwich and figured it was time to head home: he wasn't likely to be motivated for another rabbit that day!

I never underestimated Scout again!

'

• Heart 2