Spin Class

airinpie

It's a different experience. The motions might be similar but it is not the same. Spin class is a structured event. Indoors (mostly), stationary with little to no risk and a minor cost of time and money. Music, an instructor and a social feature that you don't get on some bike rides. Spinning is a great cardio exercise where you can work on cadence and pedaling efficiencies but it is not the same as cycling. Cycling outdoors requires more time commitment unless you stick to short rides less than an hour long (and who does that all the time anyway). A bicycle can require a significant upfront expense. Then there's the shoes, pedals, lights, clothing and accessories. And there is the risk of riding on roads with stupid drivers or riding off-road with trees, rocks and things to crash into. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Some people like the idea of getting a low impact workout on a piece of equipment that somewhat resembles a bike without having to worry about getting hit on the road by some idiot with his face in his phone that's supposed to be driving 2000 pounds of metal.

You would not like the kind of "waterfalls" one comes across in a spin class.

1 hour ago, airinpie said:

So I have a couple of people I know (friends would be a stretch, but anyway), that have told me they didn't really want to ride bikes, etc. But now I'm seeing posts about them in spin class. How can you like spin class but not like riding bikes? :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

Because they are idiots.  These people will seek to drag you down to their level.

Ok, riding a real bike necessitates going outside of neat little windows and into the chaos of the real world where there are many known unknowns which are a lot less scary that the unknown unknowns.  "Oh, where should I ride, whatever shall I wear, what if someone sees me, what if I have an internal question that I can't answer without someone pulling my finger?".  This is too much for the unexpanded mind to consider even sequentially.  

I say kill them all in a violent way.

• Heart 1

At my gym they canceled most of the spin classes for lack on interest. I showed up at 6 am most mornings anyway and put on a Red Bull Rampage video or a TDF video and plugged my phone into the sound system and started spinning. By the time we had four or five regulars they decided to put an instructor back in the 6am class. The instructor didn't show videos, she barked out orders and played crappy music. People quit coming again. I have a trainer at home, I'm not going to put up with crappy music.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I have a trainer, too.

Right now I’m trying to figure out how to ship it to @smudge since I’m not using it, and she needs it more than I do.

Oh good lord no! Trainers make me want to shoot my brains out. I'm sure I'll have to spend enough time on an exercise bike at PT. Thanks though. ;)

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, airinpie said:

Is it better exercise than riding a bike? Assuming you ride fast intervals or climb?

I would say yes and no.  It is common knowledge that trainer time is important.  You can maximize your output without worrying about traffic, turns, road conditions, etc.  You can just go as deep into the pain cave as you want.  When training for the IM I did a lot of trainer time, especially on my short days for intervals, etc.  Long rides are absolutely brutal on the trainer though.  At least with spin classes there are other people to distract you.  

It's still not a substitute for riding outside though.