For Wilbur....and others....aerobatics

maddmaxx

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Not as pretty as the aerobatic pilot you brought us and as for aerodynamics..........well, it's an engine with control surfaces.  It is impressive though eh?

I know this kid and his parents - not well.  I went to church with them for a couple years. and his mom was in business with a friend.  They are good friends of good friends of mine.  He has been flying RC since he could walk.  I know him and his dad John fly competitively all the time.  Another tie in with you - his dad has been know to run at the local drag way.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Is having enough power to hang off your prop and flop around with no airflow over the wings creating lift really flying?  Not questioning the insane amount of skill that it takes to do any of that, but much of it is not flying to me.

Ask a Harrier pilot.

Or an Osprey pilot.

The world of flight evolves constantly.  I see a future where aircraft combine some of the elements of winged flight and multi engined drone flight.

The RC world already has some of that.  Here is an E-Flight Convergence.  It is both a tri motor drone and when the engines rotate into the horizontal It's a winged aircraft.

Image for Convergence VTOL BNF Basic, 650mm from HorizonHobby

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Ask a Harrier pilot.

Or an Osprey pilot.

The world of flight evolves constantly.  I see a future where aircraft combine some of the elements of winged flight and multi engined drone flight.

The RC world already has some of that.  Here is an E-Flight Convergence.  It is both a tri motor drone and when the engines rotate into the horizontal It's a winged aircraft.

Image for Convergence VTOL BNF Basic, 650mm from HorizonHobby

Perhaps I was being a bit myopic with my definition of flight.  I expect a duck to look and quack like a duck.  A helicopter that looks like a plane and a plane that acts like a helicopter confuse jsharr.  At times the plane in your video post thrashes around in the air sort of like Pris after Deckard shot her.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Perhaps I was being a bit myopic with my definition of flight.  I expect a duck to look and quack like a duck.  A helicopter that looks like a plane and a plane that acts like a helicopter confuse jsharr.  At times the plane in your video post thrashes around in the air sort of like Pris after Deckard shot her.

I see what you mean.  My only dislike with RC aircraft is the scaling of motion.  Pretty impossible to emulate the real deals though.  Maybe emulation isn't the goal though.. Don't know, never tried RC stuff. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I see what you mean.  My only dislike with RC aircraft is the scaling of motion.  Pretty impossible to emulate the real deals though.  Maybe emulation isn't the goal though.. Don't know, never tried RC stuff. 

Power to weight ratio's, total weight in polar mass moments, control surfaces the size of normal wings.  It's flight and it follows the same aeronautical rules but the results are extreme to say the least.  I've never been any good at this form of flight.  My contest years were spent with engineless sailplanes that flew like trucks compared to these.

The multi engine drone/plane as a wave of the future is mostly the product of computers, motion sensors/stability systems and a host of newer technologies.  For full sized aircraft I assume that the limiting technology will be the speed of throttle response each of the engines can maintain.  At the present time Harriers an Ospreys are very challenging to fly as the pilot can never fall behind the curve without disaster.

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Power to weight ratio's, total weight in polar mass moments, control surfaces the size of normal wings.  It's flight and it follows the same aeronautical rules but the results are extreme to say the least.  I've never been any good at this form of flight.  My contest years were spent with engineless sailplanes that flew like trucks compared to these.

The multi engine drone/plane as a wave of the future is mostly the product of computers, motion sensors/stability systems and a host of newer technologies.  For full sized aircraft I assume that the limiting technology will be the speed of throttle response each of the engines can maintain.  At the present time Harriers an Ospreys are very challenging to fly as the pilot can never fall behind the curve without disaster.

I still have a hard time seeing a fixed wing aircraft behave like a rotary wing aircraft and considering it flight.  Fixed wing should fly due to air flow over a foil.  At times the plane in your video is not flying due to foil lift but due to the lift of the rotary wing.  I much prefer the old style Pitts biplane type stuff.