Whiskey testing

Old No. 7

I went to the state likker store last night as I was out of whiskey. They had an Irish whiskey I hadn't seen before, Jameson Caskmates. They finish the Jameson in bourbon barrels that once aged Stout. For a whiskey to be a bourbon it must be aged in new, charred oak barrels. Bourbon makers cannot reuse them and for many years, Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey were aged in old bourbon barrels. REcently, Brewers have found that beer aged in bourbon barrels develop richer characteristics from interacting with the whiskey soaked oak. Jameson took that a step further and aged it's Irish whiskey in bourbon barrels used to age Stout. The result, obtained in extensive testing last night, is great success. The taste was a little sweeter and smoother whiskey than straight Jameson's. I liked it.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I went to the state likker store last night as I was out of whiskey. They had an Irish whiskey I hadn't seen before, Jameson Caskmates. They finish the Jameson in bourbon barrels that once aged Stout. For a whiskey to be a bourbon it must be aged in new, charred oak barrels. Bourbon makers cannot reuse them and for many years, Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey were aged in old bourbon barrels. REcently, Brewers have found that beer aged in bourbon barrels develop richer characteristics from interacting with the whiskey soaked oak. Jameson took that a step further and aged it's Irish whiskey in bourbon barrels used to age Stout. The result, obtained in extensive testing last night, is great success. The taste was a little sweeter and smoother whiskey than straight Jameson's. I liked it.

And I am a huge fan of anything aged in bourbon barrels.  A lot of red wines are aged in BB around here.

• Like 1

One of my first NYC dates was with a woman that liked Jameson a fair bit.  I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge with her, stopped at a couple of pubs, then went to her place where we split a large portion of Jameson and I got taken advantage of.  I miss those days, but I have a special place in my heart for Jameson now.