Whelp I don't have to give up my dream house

Longjohn

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I call it preparing to die.  We give a lot away to charity when they come by to collect.  We are trying (not always a success) to buy less stuff.  I think, "what would happen if I die today, how hard would it be for someone else to take care of my stuff?".

Around here a roll off dumpster costs about $800. You can throw a lot of stuff in there.

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

WOLJ wants to downsize. I say we can downsize without moving, just get rid of a bunch of stuff that we wouldn't be able to take with us to if we got that little house.

What aboot the grandkids and fambly gatherings?  I would say the only reason to move is if you can;t take care of the place.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

What aboot the grandkids and fambly gatherings?  I would say the only reason to move is if you can;t take care of the place.

WOLJ says if I croak first she would never be able to take care of this place. I told her I thought that would be a good time to move to a smaller place. :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I was concerned - but kept my peace - that the house you were downsizing into was a raised ranch.  In a raised ranch no matter where you enter the house you have to climb stairs to move about the house.

Not that puny stairs would be a problem for you, LJ, because tall people take them in a single stride.  ;)  But most people looking to 'downsize' favor a house with a single floor living plan because they're looking well into the future.

DH is right, because things work out for a reason.  Mrs. TK and I have had several real estate deals fall through for various reasons and each time we eventually found a house that was better than what we would have otherwise bought.

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I was concerned - but kept my peace - that the house you were downsizing into was a raised ranch.  In a raised ranch no matter where you enter the house you have to climb stairs to move about the house.

Not that puny stairs would be a problem for you, LJ, because tall people take them in a single stride.  ;)  But most people looking to 'downsize' favor a house with a single floor living plan because they're looking well into the future.

The house is actually built on a slope and the lower level is really just a traditional basement with furnace, water, and laundry. I was planning on making a driveway around to the back so we could enter on the main level. I also planned on moving the laundry to the upstairs. I had some other ideas other than actually moving there but didn't voice them much to my wife. I did mention moving my brother in there while I work on fixing it up.  Doesn't matter because we didn't get the house.

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I call it preparing to die.  We give a lot away to charity when they come by to collect.  We are trying (not always a success) to buy less stuff.  I think, "what would happen if I die today, how hard would it be for someone else to take care of my stuff?".

Leave these decisions up to SpeedDemon and me.    

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Lost both in-laws and my Dad within the past couple years. Made me really consider that last part. A lot.

8 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This thought never crosses my mind.

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

We give a lot away to charity when they come by to collect.

I don’t wait that long. I get in a mood and do periodic purges once or twice a year. Room by room. No closet or drawer escapes me. If it hasn’t been used in a while, out it goes. Only problem with that is that when you DO want to donate something, you don’t have anything.

I also think really hard about whether or not I really need something, before I buy it.

If everyone were like me, those storage places would be out of business 

Lots of people "Downsize" and move into Petitepedal's senior home..Independent Living...sometimes they bring way too much crap...we have a free bench where they drop an item or two (no furniture)  One resident volunteers at St. Vincent de Paul and she takes bags of stuff there....there are agencies that come in and take your stuff for you...or some families have hired the roll off dumpster and thrown away ALL of mom's stuff...including photos and Bibles... Some also have estate sales...

So take you pick....cos you ain't taking it with you.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Now there's a thought, move all that stuff to a storage place and then quit paying. :skipping:

Might be cheaper than hauling it to the landfill! Genius!

There’s a storage place near where I used to work and one of my former cow-orkers used to walk by there during lunch. He said sometimes there were people there and the units were open....he was always amazed at the crap people would pay to store. One guy had a unit full of little scraps of plywood. Paying sixty bucks a month, to store twenty bucks worth of plywood. :wacko: